Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do bees like rhodes grass?  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
Do bees like rhodes grass?
« on: November 16, 2009, 08:25:12 am »
Hello,
Things are a bit desperate here at the moment, with all my hives doing poorly and numbers dropping.  I went to a mate's place on the river today to see if things would be better, and found one kind of gum with a few flowers, and a row of other trees.  They do cropping though, and at the moment have some acres of rhodes grass.  My mate said the bees were all over it when they had bees there before.  There is some lucerne at the neighbour's too.  Would anyone have any more information about bees and rhodes grass please?  If it really won't benefit the bees I might put the hive closer to the gums.  I'll probably take one hive over there on Thursday to see how it goes.

It was a nice tour anyway and I got off the bike a couple of times to check if particular trees had buds or flowers.  The first time, he told me I should watch the tree snake which had crawled up the tree and was hanging over me.  I ran so fast I nearly didn't need to go to the gym after that.  Then at another tree, I was inspecting buds on one branch when he noticed a hive of bees in another branch at my head height.

Lone

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
Re: Do bees like rhodes grass?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 10:33:28 pm »
I think I found an answer.  Bees like rhodes grass for pollen, but they'd still need a nectar supply.