Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Reaction to stings....  (Read 5205 times)

Offline wharfrat

• House Bee
Reaction to stings....
« on: June 26, 2009, 09:12:41 am »
Ok...be honest...

If you are working your hive(s) and get stung...are you

A - Cool and calm, and keep doing what you are doing..

B - Panic stricken, can't fight the urge to swat and kill what hit you..and exit the area like a scared schoolgirl...

C- Other   -Please describe..

I wish I could say A..but I'm more like B...

Any advice from the experienced as to how to fight the swatting urge?

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Re: Reaction to stings....
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 09:41:33 am »
If it gets to bad I put the hive back together and leave them alone then go dig the stings out. 99.5 percent of the time I'm covered up so I just keep going till I'm done nice and slow.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 10:15:52 am »
I usually yell or talk to the bee/bees that stung me and scrape the stinger out immediately. The bee is going to die anyway so it really doesn't matter if I kill it at that point.

If its an isolated sting its usually something like "now why did you go ahead and do that?" As if the bee is really going to answer me. :-D

If its multiple stings or stings that hurt particularly bad, like the area between a fingernail and the skin right against the nail, its more like "You s.o.b's you show no respect!" followed by me smoking the stung spots, then the hive.

If on the nasal septum, (the worst place of all in my opinion) I'm in the mood to kill something or someone, try to get away from the hives slowly, feeling my way, sort of, cause I'm practically blind at that point and crying. If you run, you may hit a tree, and be knocked out. Although I have to confess this is the time where I look the most like a school girl (with a beard) flailing and screaming for my momma!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 10:22:54 am »
mine is usually a few choice words towards the bees floowled by me walking in circles a few times to relive the pain :)  kind of like after you hit your thumb with a hammer or stub your toe...but with more of a burning sensation... then its back to work :)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 10:28:30 am »
I do a lot like JP by asking "why they wanted to do that to me", the one time I wanted to run screaming was because I was intimidated and shocked, that was the time I knocked over a 3 deep hive full of bee's, them things covered me instantly, I wanted to run screaming but instead held back and just walked off, after a few minutes to get my nerves back I went and put it back together, I dont know how a bear does it, them bee's covered me head to toe, I looked like I was peppered, I had so many stings in me from head to toe I had to use duck tape to put out stingers, yup and about 40 stingers got threw the jacket and jeans, you should try it some time, its something you will never forget  :evil: .
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 10:30:33 am »
I react something much like JP... ;)with different cuss words I suppose :evil:...
and the fact being that I do not have a beard!  :shock:

I had to grab a double handful of bees out of the stallion's water bucket this morning before he could stick his nose in there and get stung. Not one of them stung me, as I was doing just like the Bee Charmer (JP) does and I was telling them I was just saving their little lives.... :-D

Before I get hacked on for not watering my bees, I have water all over the apiary for the bees during this hot weather and why they want to drink from that bucket is beyond me. I also have lots of little wood cuts offs in the water so they can use them for rafts while they swim!  :roll:

Hey, I am heavily medicated, as I have to take my father to the hospital this morning to have stints put in. He has always been hard to get along with and he is up there is age and also has cancer,  I needed it to be able to get through the day. My mother is blind from Diabetes, so she rides along to help keep father under control...nothing makes him happy and he must yell (no, I did not mean tell)  you every move that you make....driving in heavy traffic or out in the middle of no man's land.

Brenda
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 01:26:40 pm by Rebel Rose Apiary »

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 10:31:47 am »
yup and about 40 stingers got threw the jacket and jeans, you should try it some time, its something you will never forget   .

No thank's I'll take your word for it :-D

Offline wharfrat

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 10:35:14 am »
I do a lot like JP by asking "why they wanted to do that to me", the one time I wanted to run screaming was because I was intimidated and shocked, that was the time I knocked over a 3 deep hive full of bee's, them things covered me instantly, I wanted to run screaming but instead held back and just walked off, after a few minutes to get my nerves back I went and put it back together, I dont know how a bear does it, them bee's covered me head to toe, I looked like I was peppered, I had so many stings in me from head to toe I had to use duck tape to put out stingers, yup and about 40 stingers got threw the jacket and jeans, you should try it some time, its something you will never forget  :evil: .

OMG!!!

My hive is like 30 ft from my back door...I'm sure I would have run inside and jumped in the shower....holy cow that must have been intense!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline Boom Buzz

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 10:37:08 am »
Seems like the times I've been stung I have been holding a brood box or super, or comb with bees on it that I don't want to drop.  So I've been amazingly calm (amazing to me anyhow).  But I haven't been stung that many times so far, fortunately.

Before being stung, when I am being head butted by a persistent bee and I don't have a veil on, that's when the panicked school girl shows herself.  Running one direction, then the other, then another, swatting and dodging.  The neighbors must get a kick out of itJohn

I get more of a pre sting panic.

John

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 11:26:27 am »
Ted, your story reminded me of something that happened earlier this year at a friend's bee yard.

We were steadying one of his hives and he let it down on an old bathtub and the bees boiled out, instantly there was banana smell in the air, I put my veil on and was wearing a short sleeved shirt, the bees covered my buddy and he began to panick, which in a sick sort of way made me chuckle (because he and I are always teasing each other) he was running around in circles and the bees were getting underneath his veil, which made him panick even more, which made me chuckle even more.

Now, before y'all think I'm totally mean and insensitive, this all took place in mere seconds, which seems like an eternity when something like this is going on.

The funniest part is, he couldn't take it anymore and ran away from the bees and into his house. I went in and told him to come out when he got the bees out of his veil.

I went over to the colony and put it back together and took a few stings on the arms but things worked out and we had a good laugh afterwards.

To this day, he says he freaked out cause the bees got into his veil and were stinging him, it was a funny sight to see though! :evil:

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline wharfrat

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 11:43:11 am »
That's kind of what I'm getting at JP.....how does anyone keep from panicing in those situations?? Even you...when you went back to put it together and took your stings...how do you stay calm?  In my mind, I'm thinking one stung me..the scent is out there now, and I'm going to get swarmed...the psychology is interesting..I guess I just need a few years more experience..but even then, if you take multiple stings..I think I will always have an overwhelming urge to haul A...?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 11:47:21 am »
I think people just respond differently in a crisis. I try and stay calm and deal with it, can always panic later. ;)

...JP

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 12:19:23 pm »
I'm a new bee,

all the experienced guys I know never wore a vale so I thought I was going to be cool and not wear one either.  After taking a shot directly to the tip of the nose and getting lit up a few times with multiple stings I decided being cool was not that cool.  I wear my vale, long sleeves and pants now but no gloves.

The added protection has given me more confidence and already I am handling the bees more securely and not lighting them up as much or as often.  I have noticed that a couple of stings a week keeps my back from knotting up and hurting.

If you play with bees your going to get stung and yes it hurts.  Fortunately I have the nasty habit of dipping Copenhagen (which I now call my first aid kit) and seems to take the sting out a little.

I'm pretty calm with a coupe of stings but when they all start coming at me from every direction I can feel the terror start to build up.   
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 12:39:08 pm »
Ok...be honest...

If you are working your hive(s) and get stung...are you

a - Cool and calm, and keep doing what you are doing..

B - Panic stricken, can't fight the urge to swat and kill what hit you..and exit the area like a scared schoolgirl...

C- Other   -Please describe..

I wish I could say a..but I'm more like B...

Any advice from the experienced as to how to fight the swatting urge?

(a) and i leave the stinger in until it pumps all the venom out,it's good for my arthritis. I have to get mean with my bees and provoke them to get a sting.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 01:24:51 pm »
knock on wood i have been stung by honey bees twice in over 20 years about 100 times by wasps
the worst place to get stung imo is the ear cannal  :shock: thats the last place i got stung by my honey bee my fault no vail so it crawled in my ear and pow stung me me good could not get the stinger out with out squeezing the venom in to my ear. put my hive bac together. walked in the house too benadryl and napped.
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 02:14:16 pm »
a) So far my experience has been a sting on the hand, wrist or whatever so I just use my hive tool and scrape the stinger out and keep working.
No point in running away at that point but when I close up that hive I may go in and take some benadryl before I open up the other hives.
That way I may prevent some swelling rather than wait until I finish the rest of the hives.
A bee went up my pant leg the other day as I was working the hives so I walked away from the area and  took my pants off in the middle of the yard to get her out and then put them back on and went back to work.
I did not want to get stung anywhere she was heading.
So there I am in my jacket/veil and panties, my husband knew what I was doing because he was working the bees but if any of the neighbors saw me I don't know what they thought.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 02:24:48 pm »
Natalie we were driving down a road when a bumble bee hit the edge of the window and landed in my biboverall my friend stopped I jumped out and dropped them and got it out the horn's were honking and I almost caused a wreck :-D

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 06:52:32 pm »
You guys are too funny!!

I'll have to go with C... I don't panic, but I do get annoyed. I'm usually pretty well suited up, but I sometimes take a sting or three through latex gloves. I have arthritis also, but I don't leave the stinger in because my bees are hot and that will draw more stings -- I don't want to get mobbed either.

I guess I'm mostly conscious of drawing more stings once I'm stung.

I'm a weird one... I don't handle Benadryl very well. Rather than making me sleepy, it tends to make me itchy all over, feeling agitated. Same thing with benzodiazepines like Valium, etc.... I was given Versed prior to a surgery once, and within seconds of it entering my IV line, I very nearly strangled the anesthesiologist. The last thing I remember him saying was: "Uh, I think we'd better put you under..." :lol: I list benzo's as a drug "allergy" now. Medics really don't want to see what happens if they give me those.
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

Offline jason58104

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 06:57:17 pm »
I can honestly say the only time i have cussed a bee for stinging me is the first and only time i relieved myself in one of my  yards and was stung where no man wants to be stung.   my wife thought it was the funniest thing that has ever happened in the history of man!

Offline Pwrbait

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 11:17:25 pm »
The very first time I did a hive inspection at UofD (first hive inspection ever), I apparently got my veil bunched up on the back of my shoulder, the next thing I knew I had about 20+ bee on the INSIDE of the veil with me.  I'm not the panicking type...but my heart rate had to be in the heart attack zone.  There were about 15 other students around and Dr. Caron was working another hive about 30 yards away.  I remember Dr. Caron saying multiple times the bees really don't care that much about me, they are just smelling me to see if I'm something good to eat.  So I backed away (everyone else ran the other direction) and slowly took off the veil.  I took one sting right between the eyes and that was the end of it.  That experience sold me on how gentle they can be.  Though I did have a day when they were all angry about something and got me a dozen or so in the first minute of opening the hive.  I packed it up and went home that day.