Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newby asking when to add super  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Utah

• New Bee
Newby asking when to add super
« on: May 23, 2006, 06:58:13 pm »
Hi, I am completely new to beekeeping bu thave read quite a bit so far.

Can you help me understand when to add the second super?

What I have done is purchase a new 2 1/2 lb with queen in Late April. I installed the bees and used an inside feeder, which was not big enough by the way. One week later they had made a considerable amount of comb. The second week I saw quite a lot of eggs, stored sugar syrup I think and pollen. The third week I saw LOTS of comb - on all but the very ends.

How do I determine what is brood and what is capped honey/syrup? How do I know if I should add the second super?  Well, I did add the second super and I even added a hive top feeder but I don't think they needed more syrup because the last inspection they had not taken all from the last refill.

What are your thoughts? Did I add the super too soon? What are the consequences? Willl they still need syrup? What do I watch for now?
Utah

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 09:51:58 pm »
If you have 8 out of 10 frames complete, you are probably ready to add. Honey frames tend to be lighter in color and  heavier.

Brood frames tend to have cells with slightly dome shaped darker covers.

Pollen or beebread tends to look like a colored brick at the bottom of the cell.

Not living in Utah I am not familar with how your spring is. I would say if the bees are bringing in good pollen you probably don't need  any sugar water.

Watch for the same things good comb, eegs, and brood. Make sure there are no parasites or signs of disease.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 12:55:55 am »
Just because they're bringing in pollen doesn't mean they're bringing in nectar.  Not all plants provide both, in fact, many only provide on or the other.  However, I don't have the slightest clue as to what grows in Utah, or is flowering.  All I can say is that if they are storing up nectar past 1/4-1/3 of the frames (not including the ones on the outer edge of the brood nest), then feeding probably isn't necessary.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 01:06:53 am »
The advice to super when 8 or 9 frames are drawn is good guage of when to super.  I super at about 80% capacity of comb and honey.  Then if they don't go up after finishing out the 1st super one or two frames can be moved up, putting 2 frames down for them to work on and drawing them up to the new one with the filled frames.
If the same sized is used through out this poses no problem when swtiching frames.  Uniformity is my by word in apiary management.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!