Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm removed from a car roof  (Read 1913 times)

Offline rayb

• House Bee
Swarm removed from a car roof
« on: April 02, 2010, 09:57:15 am »
I saw a news report of a swarm that landed on a car in Louisiana. They covered a fairly large area of the car roof. The bee keeper said he just found the queen, put her in a box and the rest followed.

My question for those of you who might know....If you were to look for the queen in a situation like this, would she be in the biggest "lump" or most active area or what?

Just in case we get a call like this (or wall, picnic table, etc.)

Thanks, Ray

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Swarm removed from a car roof
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 12:13:08 pm »
Not that I have a lot of experience finding queens in swarms,  I usually just suck them all up with a bee vac.  But the ones I have found where usually close to the top of the swarm near whatever it was hanging from.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 01:27:11 pm »
I saw a news report of a swarm that landed on a car in Louisiana. They covered a fairly large area of the car roof. The bee keeper said he just found the queen, put her in a box and the rest followed.

My question for those of you who might know....If you were to look for the queen in a situation like this, would she be in the biggest "lump" or most active area or what?

Just in case we get a call like this (or wall, picnic table, etc.)

Thanks, Ray

If they're spread out some yes, she's usually in the largest clump of bees.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline rayb

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 10:40:14 pm »
Thanks,

So far have only had the "hanging from branch "swarm type. I have a bee vacuum ready to go and figured she would be in the biggest lump. Come on swarms.....just not mine please!!!!

Thanks, Ray