Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sun & Arid conditions  (Read 2285 times)

Offline carol ann

• New Bee
Sun & Arid conditions
« on: March 18, 2007, 11:33:26 pm »
Am a new beekeeper to bee.
I am in New Mexico , setting up hives for season, about 5500 ft elevation, quite arid, 9-12" of rain per year, though large water source and fields are within a mile.
Am locating my hives with protection from over head sun under an exsisting coragated metal lean-too about 6'X12'. The sun will hit the sides of hives on south and west ends.The temps here are usually in 80's throughout summer...but has warmed quite quickly this season and could be very close to 90 or above, earlier than usual. (was 84 today in March, should be in 60's, we usually hit 80's in May/June)

The question is....should I  protect the hives from south and west sun that will come through sides of lean-too? I have a 30% sun block fabric I can put along the south and west side of lean-too?
 Will this slow production? Flight Patterns?
Muchos Gracias, carol ann
shine on

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Sun & Arid conditions
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 12:43:02 am »
I live in South Florida. The tempratures in the summer here are easily 90F/32C. The difference for me is I have a 100% humidity. I leave my hives exposed. The temprature of the brood frames is usually above 90F/32C anyway. No matter what the outside temprature is. I think you would be a good candidate for screened bottom boards and top entrances. That is what I have on mine. I leave my hives out for full exposure.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 12:51:37 am »
I'm close to Lubbock, TX. It gets into the 100+ around here but is normally dry. My hives are in full sun all the time. I have screen bottoms on and have never seen the bees bearding because it is too hot. 
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Big Sky Honey

• Brood
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 01:57:26 am »

Join the New Mexico Beekeepers Assoc.  Google "New Mexico Beekeepers Assoc" to get the web address

Beginning Beekeeping class - Last Saturday in April

Contact me if you have any questions

BigSkyHoney@gmail.com

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 04:11:22 am »
When the hive is plenty of bees there are not problems. If you have a weak hive, it is another matter.

Last summer I had problems with the wax and the hot because there was a little nucleus of bees in the hive. The strong hives had not problem.

On the other hand, Spaniards use usually the Layens hive, very close, like a medieval building, and I have never seem solar protecction. Bees do the beard.

De nada.

Offline carol ann

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 10:28:26 am »
Thanks for the replies! Less work for me I really didn't want to put up the shade cloth.
carol ann
shine on

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 11:43:09 am »
Carol Ann, I love your avitar by the way.  Nice one.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline LET-CA

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 03:43:57 pm »
I'd try to figure out a water source much closer to your hives.  Water will be the controlling factor for them in such an aird environment.  With it, they can control their internal hive temperature.  Without it, they bake.

All the best,

Am a new beekeeper to bee.
I am in New Mexico , setting up hives for season, about 5500 ft elevation, quite arid, 9-12" of rain per year, though large water source and fields are within a mile.
Am locating my hives with protection from over head sun under an exsisting coragated metal lean-too about 6'X12'. The sun will hit the sides of hives on south and west ends.The temps here are usually in 80's throughout summer...but has warmed quite quickly this season and could be very close to 90 or above, earlier than usual. (was 84 today in March, should be in 60's, we usually hit 80's in May/June)

The question is....should I  protect the hives from south and west sun that will come through sides of lean-too? I have a 30% sun block fabric I can put along the south and west side of lean-too?
 Will this slow production? Flight Patterns?
Muchos Gracias, carol ann