Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can't blame Anybody Else For This One  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
Can't blame Anybody Else For This One
« on: July 30, 2013, 08:49:02 pm »
Just had a nice hive get slimed by small hive beetles and gotta blame the beek :(. Pulled some honey off the hives about a month ago, everything was looking good so I put the empties back on the hives to catch the next flow. The dead hive was cranking at the time and a check a week after the extraction showed the honey was coming in. Didn't check the hives till today planning on an extraction and found #6 hive pretty well slimed. Lost 2 brood boxes and 2 shallows from the SHB but was able to salvage a full deep of honey which only had 2 frames damaged. I ended up putting that one honey box on one of my strongest hives hoping that it will get cleaned up. Can't blame anybody except for me on this one, should of been out checking the hives. Still pulled almost 25 gallons today using a old Kelly hand cranked extractor but probably lost a good 8 gallons from the slime job. I'm letting the girls clean up what they can by robbing out the dead hive then I'll check the slimed frames. Looks like my giant solar melter is going to be packed full for a couple weeks. Check your hives everybody.

Offline dprater

• House Bee
Re: Can't blame Anybody Else For This One
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 09:42:32 pm »
Sorry about that. I know the feeling, I did not keep a eye on a hive like I should have, it was 15 miles from my house and checked it last week and saw what I thought was laying worker eggs. Gave it a week and hoped it was a new Q learning to lay but I went to it today and found lots of SHB larvae but not much slime. Did a shake out and froze the frames. I guess if you have bees you have to deal with SHB.

Take care

Offline Wolfer

• House Bee
Re: Can't blame Anybody Else For This One
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 09:21:27 pm »
Year before last I lost a couple hives to SHB. In desperation I bought an IPK beetle trap from Green beehives. This worked so well I now have them on all my hives. I haven't seen a live beetle in any hive I have these on this year.
I believe if everyone used these SHB could become endangered.