Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dandelion Wine Time!!!  (Read 9548 times)

Offline jdesq

• House Bee
Dandelion Wine Time!!!
« on: April 26, 2007, 05:13:02 pm »
Dandelions are popping up all over. I'm not bragging ( to much) but I make an awesome dandelion wine. Make it early May and It's ready to drink about Christmas time. 5 gallons of liquid sunshine! It sure brightens up a dreary February day. Anyone else make this  an  annual rite of spring?

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Re: Dandelion Wine Time!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 05:16:48 pm »
No, but I've tasted the stuff. Very interesting. Always wanted to make wine(red), but haven't had the time yet. Too many other endaevors to do. Oh well! Enjoy your wine.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 08:08:19 pm »
I missed it here, they're already going to seed.  Ah, heck, I'll just cruise the neighborhood and see what I can find, there's sure to be enough to do a batch.

Mark

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 09:08:06 pm »
I think moonshine season is wrapping up here :-D
Sugarbush Bees

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 11:21:11 am »
Dandelions are popping up all over. I'm not bragging ( to much) but I make an awesome dandelion wine. Make it early May and It's ready to drink about Christmas time. 5 gallons of liquid sunshine! It sure brightens up a dreary February day. Anyone else make this  an  annual rite of spring?

We have dandelions so big this year I think that they have come from outer space.  I have no clue why they are so BIG.  If the sun shines I am going to take some pics, they are closed when it is raining.

I would be curious, how many do you have to pick.  We have so many coming on, maybe I will give the wine a whirl.  Could you pass on a recipe/procedure/amount required to make lots (LOLL).  Have a beautiful, wonderful day, great health to all.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline jdesq

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 02:20:48 pm »
Sure- You will need about 1 1/2 gallon bucket of dandelion heads. 10 lbs sugar, 3 cans white grape concentrate, and zest and juice from 3 lemons and packet of white wine yeast. Put the heads in a cheesecloth bag. Use at least a 5 gallon bucket  put all ingrediants in bucket add hot water to dissolve sugar and top off with more water to give you around 5 gallons. After it cools down to room temp. add yeast and cover bucket with cloth. ferment for around 10 days then squeeze out juice from dandelion heads and discard heads.  Move into another 5 gallon carboy leaving sediment behind. Put airlock on and forget about it untill thanksgiving. Rack once more -then bottle. It will get better with age. enjoy!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 09:11:03 am »
jdseq.  Now if that doesn't sound simple.  I could easily pick that many dandelions.  Ours are huge and I could probably pick that many in about half an hour.  Thanks for this information, gonna do that for sure.  Best of a beautiful day, great day, good health wishes to all.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 10:27:28 am »
So I got enough.  Where do I find an airlock?

Mark

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 10:41:56 am »
Never mind.  I found this place:

http://www.homebrewheaven.com

Very nice people.

Mark

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 11:20:00 am »
So, I thought I would offer my grandsons one cent per dandelion head to pick me several thousand (LOL).  They didn't want to do it, so oh well, they could have made some good money.  So...I'll have myself a bunch of money and head out today.  Best of a wonderful day, good health to all.  Cindi

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 12:41:22 pm »
Yeah, I tried that with my daughter, she didn't buy into it either. :-\

I don't really mind, just another reason to be outside.

Mark

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 10:44:09 am »
Well, that is just too bad for my grandsons, tough tiddy said the kiddy.

I went outside yesterday and picked two gallons of beautiful yellow dandelions.  I put on a glove because I know the staining that comes from these pretty little flowers.  Lucky I did, I had to dispose of the glove afterwards.

It took me about an hour to pick these two buckets.  The sun was shinin' and I was having fun, fun, fun.  I counted the first bucket as I was picking.  I can be rather weird about things.  There is approximately 1,000 dandelion heads to a gallon.  I am actually grateful that the kids didn't pick them for me.  It would have cost me about $10 a bucket.  so I told them, you snooze you looze.  They didn't care.  I guess the thought of picking dandelion flowers was too much for the mind of a young child.  Guess there must be more interesting things to do, like, I actually don't know what.  Jump on the trampoline, watching me pick these little flowers.  Hmmm...what's the matter with kids today?  LOL  :roll:  Have a beautiful day, great life, the sun is shinin', the package bees were having a great time yesterday.  Cindi

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 06:03:22 am »
So here I am trying to find ways to kill the dandelions when I could be making wine!!!  Never had dandelion wine, is it anything like rhubarb wine?  My grandpa makes an awesome rhubarb wine from the rhubarb he gets from his garden.  He said that when I'm ready to start making wine he'll hook me up with some carboys and airlocks.  Maybe nows the time while the dandes are out.  Just like my neighbor Cindi up there in BC, here in the Seattle area we have HUGE dandes this year.  Massive!  And my bees wont touch them!  Maybe they are from another planet?!?!?!

Sean
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 07:45:24 am »
They're Triffids!   :shock:

Mark

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 10:24:01 am »
Sean, now that is interesting that you say that about the bees not liking the dandelions.  We hear all the time about the dandelion bloom and bees.  My bees have zero interest in the dandelions too.

My theory on this is that there are so many other trees in bloom that the dandelions hold no interest.  We have so many wild fruit trees and many other trees blooming like crazy right now, probably more interest to the bees than the pretty little dandelions.  I do see other pollinators on the dandes, they love them.  I think that they are the little teeeny tiny bees that always go in my swimming pool.  They look like them anyways.  The ones that go in the pool are a real nuisance.  They are so tiny and pack quite a little sting.  The kids are always getting stung by them, but their venom is nothing compared to the honeybee, so they just go ouch and carry on their way.  I always try to skim them off as best that I can and I tell the kids to keep the skimmer close at hand and remove the little bees when they go in the pool.

The bug that bugs me that goes into the pool and bugs everyone is the one that I call the maneater, the boat bug, whatever.  I have never been bit by one, but I think that they bite.  They fly into the pool, swim underwater all the time, are fast and very hard to catch.  When I catch a boat bug if it gets away before I squish it (yep, I squish bugs, my husband eats them on dares), the boat bug flies away.  It looks like a little guy in a row boat in the water, the legs (or wings, whatever it is) looking like oars.  I am sure that everyone has these critters.

Ooops, lost the topic, back to dandelion wine.  I picked two buckets, but they are still in my fridge.  I haven't got around to buying some white grape concentrate so I think that I am going to use some cherry juice that I extracted from cherries last year.  I am thinking the dandelion wine will not be clear, but maybe a dark one.  That throws a different swing on the thought of dandelion wine, but then improvision is a good thing too.  I have lots and lots or rhubarb, too much actually, never thought about making wine with that, but it sounds delicious.  I had some raspberry wine the other day my friend made out of excess raspberries that she had frozen from her garden lasat year.  Man, now if that wasn't a treat for the palate.  I will have excesss of raspberries this year too.  Guess it is gonna be a year of wine making.  Best of a wonderful, beautiful day, good health to all.  Cindi

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 07:01:24 pm »
Cindi!

I HATE that maneater bug you mentioned!!!  Those things hurt worse than any bee sting!  And they're fast too.  They look kind of like a weird beetle with those two long legs that they swim with.  You're the first person I've talked to that knows what I'm talking about (besides my neighbors).  Must be a northwest thing.  When I lived in Portland, never saw them.

I'm definately going to grow rhubarb this year and make some wine from that, but I think I'll wait for dandelion wine until next year.  I noticed the same thing about other bees and bugs liking the dandes.  We have a big population of bumble bees this year and they've been really digging the dandes.  Same with the orchard mason bees.  I think you're right about the bees going after something better.  Must be the big maple they've been going after.

Sean
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007, 10:14:32 am »
Sean, now that is funny about the maneater (boatbug) that we speak about.  I have always seen them my entire life.  Even as a child when we played in the swamps, catching the huge bull frog tadpoles, swimming in the murk,, we were warned about the maneater bugs, had a healthy respect for them surely, and I have passed on these teachings to anyone that swims in my pool.  Man, looking back to my childhood days, I really don't know how on earth we could go down to the swamps and swim and play in those dark murkey waters.  It sends shivers up my spine to think of going into any water that I cannot see clearly into, for fear of what lurks below.  The ignorance of youth, surely.  It scares me still thinking of my childhood days, deep in the woods, deep in the swamp, eeeks!!!!  And the swamp grasses!!!!!

This maneat bug is a nasty.  Have never been bit by one, thank goodness you told me that they do really pack a whollop of a sting/bite, whatever these critters do.  When I hear a kid shrieking in the pool and calling me, I know for surely that that kind of shriek is the need to come and remove the boatbug.  What bugs me is that they like to go down to the deep end and then it is really hard to get them, but I always win.  I try to squish them in the net before I release, cause they can fly away so quickly.  Well, wouldn't ya think so, the way that they can paddle their little bodies around under water!!!!  Nasties for surely. have a wonderful day, great day and good health wishes for us all.  Cindi

Offline jdesq

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007, 11:06:35 am »
Cindi, The dandelion wine will end up with a light yellow cast to it- like a chardonney- I'd recommend sticking to the recipe for your first wine- If your first wine is a success, you'll make many more- if not,the hobby will die there.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 11:59:59 am »
jdseq.  Actually, I made the wine yesterday, we'll see how it turns out.  Pretty simple actually.  Now, the only question that I have is:

The dandelions heads are in the cheesecloth bag (actually a painters' strainer bag) suspended in the liquid.  BUT...I looked this morning and the bag is not submerged in the liquid, it is floating, about half of it is above liquid the other half below.

Is this right?  If it needs to be submerged completely, how is this accomplished?  I'm thinking that the "above fluid" dandelion heads might go mouldy or something weird like that.  Have the beautiful day, great day, good health wishes to all.  Cindiu

Offline jdesq

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 01:28:08 pm »
Just punch down the bag whenever you go past it- maybe rotate it once in awhile- Don't worry -It will be great!

anything