Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee removal in old machine  (Read 3962 times)

Offline RayF

• New Bee
Bee removal in old machine
« on: December 11, 2012, 09:23:02 am »
I have been asked to remove two hives out of a old derelict workshop. One is in a small cable drum so that is easy. The other is in the crankcase of an old air compressor. It has two inspection holes in the crankcase about 4 X 3 inches. It is accessible and the openings about 18 inches off the ground. The covers have been removed and the bee's are using one as an entrance. The preference is to get the bee's out into a box and not poison them.
My idea so far is to block off the entrance that they aren't using it and put something like a 4 inch pipe from the used entrance into a box that has some some frames with honey in it and hopefully the bees will start working the frames and the queen will move into the box as well.
Any suggestions? I have not done a removal like this before.
I believe I have till January to get them into a box before the building is demolished.

Perth Western Australia

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Bee removal in old machine
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 07:27:03 pm »
Take the equipment home and wait until spring.  Then cut out or trap out.  

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 07:39:42 pm »
The things we’ll do to save bees!  Glad to see it, you have a challenge.  Cutting open the crankcase might be difficult.  It’s metal and bees don’t like vibration.  They might start trying to build comb outside the crank case in the spring or they may just swarm in the spring.  The problem is they won’t do either before Spring (April?); so you have a problem if January is your deadline.  Allen is probably right.

Offline RayF

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 01:04:24 am »
Taking the machine home is maybe an option. I was hoping though to trap them now. Remember its the start of summer here. :) Is it still to late and if not any ideas on the trapping?
Perth Western Australia

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 09:10:38 am »
A trap out is probably your best option.  Read the section here -> http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,20301.0.html   

There is very little chance that you will get the queen to migrate on her own, especially in the time frame you have.   I would recommend the traditional trap out method described above, if taking the equipment home is not an option or too much of a hassle.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline RayF

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 09:41:47 am »
Thanks,the old compressor weighs a couple of ton but they have a truck and crane so I'll slip down there one night,seal it up and bring them home :)
Perth Western Australia

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 10:04:35 am »
Sounds like a lot of work for a hive of bees with no queen. How much is a pkg of bees cost there anyway?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 10:15:57 am »
Sounds like a lot of work for a hive of bees with no queen. How much is a pkg of bees cost there anyway?

Not as much as the scrap value of a 2-ton compressor.

It is like the guy that takes home a wheel barrel full on manure each night  :-D
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 12:39:25 pm »

Not as much as the scrap value of a 2-ton compressor.

It is like the guy that takes home a wheel barrel full on manure each night  :-D
:lau:
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline James M. Wagner

• House Bee
    • Poor Hollow Bee Farm
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 11:42:39 pm »
I removed a colony from an old water heater tank. It was lying more or less on its' side. I cut the bottom off off the thing using a recip saw. You should be able to open up this thing the same way. -js
James M. Wagner