Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: my hybrid "used what i had" bee vac.  (Read 2181 times)

Offline jgaito

• House Bee
my hybrid "used what i had" bee vac.
« on: July 01, 2010, 10:15:44 am »
   i wish i could credit the design but i forget who built it.    i didn't want to use my shop vac because it would have required another hose so i split my Mighty Mite in two.   the front cover is hinged to access the filter bag so i removed it and attached it to one end of the box as the inlet.   i made a gasket out of split vinyl tube and attached the motor to the other end.  inside the box is a fiberglass screen installed at a 45 degree angle to increase surface area.   a suction reducer is at the motor end behind the screen.   the bottom has a slide out panel and framing to fit an eight frame deep.  the top has a hinged panel and is screened for ventilation.
   i tested it with crushed leaves and after adjusting the reducer the majority of test material decelerates rapidly upon leaving the intake port and very few pieces reach the screen before dropping to the floor.   i think i'll build the Robo design next but modify the build by incorporating a good amount of plexiglass.   i like the idea of vacuming into a hive body but preffer to see what's going on.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: my hybrid "used what i had" bee vac.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 03:37:39 pm »
I like that one piece idea.   I wish I had one of the bucket models or something like that one.   I like the see through top also.  One thing you might want to look at is the ability to mount it on top of a hive box with frames in it.  Looks real good, I like the color.

Offline jgaito

• House Bee
Re: my hybrid "used what i had" bee vac.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 04:35:57 pm »
I like that one piece idea.   I wish I had one of the bucket models or something like that one.   I like the see through top also.  One thing you might want to look at is the ability to mount it on top of a hive box with frames in it.  Looks real good, I like the color.
it will mount on an eight frame deep.  well, sit sealed on an eight frame deep.  i suppose i could seal off a bottom and let the bees just fall or crawl into the box from the vac.  i like that idea.  i could just attach it with some screw eyes and turnbuckles.   that would at the very least give me another option.