Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can you attract too many bees to pose a threat?  (Read 3586 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Can you attract too many bees to pose a threat?
« on: September 23, 2008, 03:30:09 pm »
After being robbed I was wondering if you can have too many bee attracting flowers, plants, and trees to pose a threat to your hives. I know if your hive is strong they will keep intruders out but if you did not attract so many bees by having the plants would you be better off? Because the weather is still warm, high 8-s to 90s, the flowers are still blooming and the bees are still coming.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Can you attract too many bees to pose a threat?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 03:36:06 pm »
I say the more flowers the better. Its the weaker hives that get robbed, take precautions on those.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 10:06:07 am »
Shawn, you mean your hives were robbed by others?  That's a sign of weak hives, for the most part.  I think the more forage there is out there the less robbing would occur, they'd all have enough to gather.  I've got gardens all over and our hives aren't getting robbed, the hives at my mom's have the same, even more gardens, and they're safe and strong.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 01:42:53 pm »
Yes I was robbed to the point I have no bees left. I agree it was a week hive and that was my fault. I guess I was wondering if I did not have all the flowers so close to the hive then the other bees would not be so close to find the week hive. Ill try again next year. I am sealing up the hive and next year they will have a deep hive with comb already drawn and the top hive having three frames already drawn. I am also going to start a second hive, 2 three pound packages with 1 queen.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 02:48:36 pm »
Re-guard less of how many "blooming " type plants you have. At some time you will have a "darth"
If you have a weak or a low populated colony at this time, then it will be vulnerable.
Reduce the entrance until the darth is over, or until the colony has a chance to strengthen.
These robbing frenzies can also occur when you are feeding. This is why you should stay away from any out side the hive feeding methods.
You can-not have too many bee friendly plants.
You can have too many colonies for the amount of bee friendly plants with in a given area.
Hope this answers any and all ?'s pertaining to the subject at hand. :roll:doak

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 03:59:01 pm »
I believe if the plants are placed to close to the beehive they're more likely to be robbed. When the bees see all the good foraging is another hive in a flower garden they can take it as "We're robbing this place."

anything