Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Vented Top Cover  (Read 3544 times)

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
Vented Top Cover
« on: July 19, 2006, 05:00:15 pm »
I have made a top cover by cutting a medium super in half to make two 3 inch tall hive bodies. I then secured a cover of plywood on each one. Then I cut 4 one inch holes in the side and covered them with 1/8 hardware cloth. I use it for a top cover with no inner cover. It gives about a 3 inch space between the top of the frames and the top cover. I have used 2 of these for over a month and so far, it has really helped with the heat. No bur comb, no additional SHB problems and no other problems that I have seen yet.

Question - does anyone have any input on problems I may have either now or in the winter using this type of vented top cover?
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Vented Top Cover
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 07:13:24 pm »
If you could post some pictures or diagrams that would be helpful.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Vented Top Cover
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 02:08:15 am »
Now you get the idea of why I use slatted racks.  Without the inner top below your vented shim they will adventually build burr comb.  I have used a similar shim but made my tops so there is air space between the telescope of the top and the shim, kind of a cantilever set up.
Proper Hive ventilation is important in swarm management/prevention and disease control.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Vented Top Cover
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 09:19:07 am »
Sounds very similar to the  DE ventilation box.  I have been using vent boxes for a few years now and they work great.  Without an inner cover, they will eventually build comb in the space.  In the winter I just put a piece of insulation on top of the inner cover.

David Eyre site has some good info on managing the DE hive
http://www.beeworks.com/informationcentre/index.html
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
Vented Top Cover
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 12:48:00 am »
That is very close to what i built and am using. I am glad to see it works...
talkhunting.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Vented Top Cover
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 06:48:15 am »
You will want to plug some of those holes come winter.  Ventilation is still important then and if you reduce the exposure to 1 hole on each side and use an inner top you'll find that it still vents enough so that moisture doesn't build up and rain inside the hive.  I've used the same method before and that's actually what convinced me that proper ventilation is so important.  The model I made had 3 one inch holes on each side with a screen covering the inside instead of an inner top.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Vented Top Cover
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 08:32:34 am »
My vent boxes are placed above the inner cover.  But essentially the same as you have done.  In the winter, though, I remove both and set a shallow candy board on top, with a shim for an upper entrance.  Styrofoam insulation on top of that.

-- Kris

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
Vented Top Cover
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 10:27:35 am »
I will take some photos today and then I would like to hear some opinions from some of the southerners about wintering with it. This will be my first winter as a beek so i do not know if the vent should be taken off or left on. I do not use an inner cover due to SHB.
talkhunting.com