Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Marlena's Girls...  (Read 3854 times)

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
Marlena's Girls...
« on: July 16, 2008, 02:59:32 am »
Here is a picture of our two Nigerian Dwarf nanny goats.  The fawn colored one we call Ellie Mae, and the tri-colored is Bobbie Jo...Ellie Mae likes to butt chickens.

http://oracle.macc.edu/~dpence/pictures/goats.jpg

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Marlena's Girls...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 08:23:11 am »
I have always wanted a goat. Do they make good pets?

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline marlena

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 09:49:02 am »
I can't speak for other goat breeds but our Nigerian Dwarf goats make fantastic pets! My girls are both very good tempered, playful, and affectionate. I can tell when someone is in the yard because if the girls spot them, they start bawling. Just like a dog that barks. They tend to want to jump up on you to get your attention. Since they are only get about 22" tall, they don't knock you down. We got these two about a year ago and I've never regretted getting them. In fact, David has been looking at getting some more to add to our family.  :-D  And of course, I'm planning to have them breed in Oct or Nov so we will have spring babies.

~Marlena

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 10:07:37 am »
Is it true that you don't have to feed goats cause they'll eat just about anything or do you feed them?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 03:43:14 pm »
JP, we feed them a special mixture of grains and feeds (not too much though) They also have grass and alfalfa hay when free grass is not available.  They have free mineral and baking soda (helps the gut). Our daughter is showing them in the county fair next week.  They are nice pets and really good for children.  And like all our kids, they are spoiled rotten.... :-D...by my wife.

David

Offline marlena

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 01:35:29 am »
And like all our kids, they are spoiled rotten.... :-D...by my wife.

:shock:  Oh no I don't! Your the softy who gives them "just alittle more" grain because you can't stand to hear them crying. :roll:

So now.....they cry everytime they see my husband in hopes that he will bring them more grain.  :-D

~Marlena

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 02:16:22 am »
And like all our kids, they are spoiled rotten.... :-D...by my wife.

:shock:  Oh no I don't! Your the softy who gives them "just alittle more" grain because you can't stand to hear them crying. :roll:

So now.....they cry everytime they see my husband in hopes that he will bring them more grain.  :-D

~Marlena

My dogs know what buttons to push with me, I spoil them rotten!!!  The dog whisperer would fail me!! :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 02:36:41 am »
Yes dear...  :roll:.  Its not so bad now that they have extra room to run with the chickens.  They don't bawl at me so bad now when I am in the woodshop.  At any rate I'm thinking a couple "blue eyed" ND nannies would add to our collection.  :-D