Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The easiest 5 frame nuc to build for next to nothing!  (Read 13231 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
The easiest 5 frame nuc to build for next to nothing!
« on: August 18, 2010, 10:51:46 pm »
Hi Everybody,

I got some plans for a plywood 5 frame nuc from here Plywood 5 frame nuc plans and they are seriously the easiest to make! i got given a heap of plywood for free from work (they were going to throw it out) and there wa enough there to cut timbers for 8 nucs! i've so far assembled three of them. Can't wait to fill them with bees!

Phil, i won't be brining the used equipment on Saturday! i'll have some nucs with new frames...

Here's how it looks! it's a bit rough but it hasn't been sanded or the countersunk holes filled yet... i'm thinking of givig them a really fine sand and then lacquer them

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Give it a shot! they're so easy! and cheap!

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
Re: The easiest 5 frame nuc to build for next to nothing!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 11:08:26 pm »
Made these too, I love them!  They are so easy to build with not much wood.  Have a great day and thanks for sharing! Country :)

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 04:08:53 am »
Looks good.

Are they big enough to fit the whole nest in, assuming it doesn't extend too far down the chimney? Depending on what we find, and given Saturday is not looking at being that warm, I was considering just putting the nest in as close to as is as possible. Once there's a warm day and comb can be transfered, or foundation/drawn comb placed in a super above the nest. Just trying to ease the girls into it without disrupting them too much. I suppose the chimney is not that wide anyway and a 5 framer should be about right.

I would not lacquer it at this stage. It does not have enough time to finish outgassing by the time the nest goes into it.

How thick is the plywood?

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 08:50:55 am »
I've made up four of them and I'll still bring the other bits and pieces too. I have 25 new frames and a few second hand ones... If the hive goes all the way down the chimney were in trouble :) Saturday isn't looking that great weather wise as you said... Were going to have to chop the comb up anyway so as to get it in a box is itbworth just putting it in frames? Since were doing it inside maybe I could bring a heater to warm up the room a little? I'm also going to bring some lemongrass oil to hopefully draw the ones that will be flying in the room to a nuc-will be an interesting experiment if nothing else. I also got a Kangaroo Island Ligurian Queen just in case we don't find the queen or we have enough brood to make a separate nuc-if not I can make a split from my current hive which is booming. I'm not sure what the best thing to do will be-this is my first cut-out ever so I'll happily be the student :) If we just put the comb in a box could it be hard to pull apart later? I've noticed a heap of activity in my hives with the warm days of late.

I won't be lacquering the hives-I'll make some more-lacquer them then transfer tge frames.

The ply is 12mm

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 08:51:45 am »
With mine, I used that cheap lowes chipboard for $8 a sheet then painted it with leftover paint from the house.  It is holding up so far, I think it was around half inch stuff.  You can make so many from one sheet it is amazing! Country :)

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 09:52:24 am »
Since were doing it inside maybe I could bring a heater to warm up the room a little? I'm also going to bring some lemongrass oil to hopefully draw the ones that will be flying in the room to a nuc-will be an interesting experiment if nothing else. I also got a Kangaroo Island Ligurian Queen just in case we don't find the queen or we have enough brood to make a separate nuc-if not I can make a split from my current hive which is booming. I'm not sure what the best thing to do will be-this is my first cut-out ever so I'll happily be the student :) If we just put the comb in a box could it be hard to pull apart later? I've noticed a heap of activity in my hives with the warm days of late.

It'll be a real play it by ear job.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 10:57:45 pm »
I agree - it's supposed to be 14oC tomorrow - a bit crisp still but atleast we won't be working up on that roof!

What time are you planning on getting there? is the owner able to leave a key out? i can get there early and start pulling the plaster off the bricks if you'd like

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 11:39:22 pm »
I was planning on heading over there as soon as I get out of the polling booth. What time do they open?

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 02:32:27 am »
Not sure mate... the AEC website should be able to tell you www.aec.gov.au

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 12:24:29 am »
I like the way they fit so snugly accross the boot of your car.  :)

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 12:09:35 am »
I dont suppose you wrote a set of plans in metric by any chance?

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 08:16:45 pm »
Started making these yesterday...i am using the circular saw with a home made guide, clamped to the sheet to get straight cuts. Anyone got any better ways, without buying a saw bench?

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 09:20:53 pm »
I found the easest way Pete was to just use a tape measure that had inch measurements on it - meant nothing to me but the boxes worked out  :)

I actually didn't use a guide at all on my saw - just made sure that i took it nice and slow and followed the lines that i had drawn - use a permanent marker to make the lines so they're easily visible. Don't mark out a complete box on one board though and then do the cuts - dependent on the width of your blade you'll potentially reduce the dimensions by 2X blade widths which will leave you with gaps (does that make sense?  :?)

I actually had quite a few boards so i dedicated one board to bases, one board to sides, one to lids etc

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 10:06:07 pm »
Yeah i have been using the tape with inches on it. I prefer to run with a guide of some sort, i just clamp a straight edge parallel with the line. For smaller cuts i free hand it.

I will re measure in mm once i have finished, and tested.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 02:16:24 am »
There ya'll go with that mm stuff again...I didn't even know you had candies that melt in your mouth, but not in your hand down there! :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 07:31:02 am »
 :lau:

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 07:36:11 am »
The countries in red in this picture do not use the metric system...its a very difficult system, with investment and learning your country too could learn how to count to...umm....10.  :-D

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 10:34:21 am »
 :devilbanana: X:X

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 07:05:13 pm »
Try using inches, feet, yards...... and quarters.....and 1/32.....wow, try that one metric world!  Anyone can count a ruler with only 10 on it! :-D  Ours adds excitment!  Especially when the measurer drinks! :-D

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 08:18:45 pm »
These nucs are great!
I have made 2 so far - so quick and simple to make.

Anyone know sources for free/scrap plywood?

ML