Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: movin them hives  (Read 2345 times)

Offline AndersMNelson

• House Bee
  • HEY
movin them hives
« on: November 07, 2007, 04:24:32 pm »
Hey everybody.  I'm planning on moving my two hives to our new house which is about half a mile away.  I'm gonna move them at night, or at least after the sun has gone down, and put a large branch in front of the entrances.  Is there anything I'm forgetting?  Also, is it going to be too cold to move in the evening?  I think the low on Friday is going to be around 40 F.
My Photos!

Takin' care of beesnus.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: movin them hives
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 05:10:36 pm »
If it stays cold you probably won't have a problem. But you might want to place empty boxes in the old location and check each night to see if some returned to old place.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline bberry

• House Bee
  • Playing with wool is good for your soul
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 07:47:47 pm »
you might want to get some of those adjusting sinching straps to hold all together (think called maxistrap)while moving-this worked for me pretty well keeping everything tight

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 08:23:51 pm »
Close them up the night before and do it when the next day will be warm.  Put an empty box at the old location so you can return the confused ones.  A half mile is about the worst distance to move them since it's close enough they will see landmarks to get them back to the old hive, but it's far enough that circling won't get them back to the new location.  On a warm day they have more time to figure things out.  On a cold day they may fly to the old location and get too cold before they figure things out.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmoving.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline AndersMNelson

• House Bee
  • HEY
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 09:31:55 pm »
OK, thanks for the advice everyone.  I know the distance is bad, but I don't have a choice.  One of the hives is really struggling: last time I checked, there was a bunch of dried up larvae and it looked like the hive wasn't gonna make it.  I'm in college a couple hours away from home, so it's kind of tough for me.  thanks again
My Photos!

Takin' care of beesnus.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 10:54:58 pm »
Anders, I hope things work out well for you, it is hard when you can't be close to the bees to keep watch all the time.  Have a great and wonderful day, nonetheless.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service