Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: taking care of our venison  (Read 8811 times)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
taking care of our venison
« on: December 07, 2012, 09:01:43 am »
shot 4 deer.   I made 20 lbs of corn venison, 20 lbs of teriyaki sticks. 15 lbs of pastomi and 10 lbs of summersausage.  The rest was vaccuum packed or canned.

Offline REDBEE

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • House Bee
Re: taking care of our venison
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 11:19:10 am »
sounds good,hope you save the back strap,looks like I will be deer less this year,see loads of them out the window but the wife says they are to cute to shoot ,go figure

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 02:07:03 pm »
Just canned and froze my 4th one yesterday. Haven't killed one yet. Hunting friends keep me supplied well.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 04:47:16 pm »
Is that a CWD area? Folks said that in Wisconsin you had to 'earn a buck' by shooting a doe!
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 11:51:26 pm »
but the wife says they are to cute to shoot ,go figure

she might not think so when they strip out her garden next year.

minz, you know anyone who got an elk this year?  none of my friends did either with bow or gun.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 06:59:19 pm »
Is that a CWD area? Folks said that in Wisconsin you had to 'earn a buck' by shooting a doe!
If your asking about Michigan the answer is no.  This side of the state is disease free.  (Knock on wood)   I saw alot of bucks over the 15 day season.  Three the first morning alone.   I settled on a nice 7 and a even nicer 6 and 2 does.   

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 07:59:19 pm »
I haven’t hunted since I was as kid, but who knows I might consider it again with all the deer in this area of Michigan.  I think there may be more deer than people around here and boy can those deer eat and eat and eat.  About the only thing more destructive than moles to my property are the deer.  

Iddee, you’ve got hunters giving you free deer?  That is so funny!  Why on earth wouldn’t they be eating their own deer?

Danno, way to go!  Somebody needs to get the deer population under control around here.  

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 08:31:43 pm »
BB, these are redneck hunters. They may forget to fill out a tag or two, and may not understand what a bag limit is.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Mbeck

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 11:11:38 pm »
Lots of Gators and the deer are coming in!

http://legacyskull.com/

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 07:28:54 pm »
Kathy: Shawn took his elk with a bow on the opening week. He has really been making a habit of it over the past few years (got his calling and location down). Admin here at work her husband drew a cow tag, 8 in their party. Tagged out all 8 on a private ranch under the national forest. I did not think they let them shoot cows that hard. 
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 08:10:18 pm »
a couple of mild winters.  they may have needed to cull some.

after i posted that, i found out that a friends husband got one with a bow.  that's the only one i know about from my friends.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline ralph3

• Brood
  • WannaBeeKeeper
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 09:32:59 pm »
Here's what I did to one last month. I got farmers around with kill permits that I must get some from this year for next winter.

Oh well supposedly I can't post links in my first post on forum. rjones3nfamily on utube, video title 'Drying a Dear Deer' '90CZ00zwcBA'. Maybe somebody else can embed it in a post.

Offline CynthiaM

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 10:50:50 am »
Danno, very nice, I sure do wish that someone I knew would get a deer.  I really like the taste and texture of that type of meat.  Just don't know anyone around here that hunts.  Oh well, could buy some at the market, specialty one, I guess, but just don't think it is the same as when someone gets it themselves.  Probably only in my head, but it is still in my head.  Have a most awesome and beautiful day, Cindi

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 01:45:32 pm »
When I was a child following my father and beating brush on deer hunts, one of the other kids asked what the limit on deer was anyway.  His father replied Four a day, eight in possession, same as ducks"   

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 04:09:18 pm »
Sounds great! Dh and son got 4 this year also--DH just finished the ring bologna this week--yum! Had snack sticks, pepperoni-like sticks, sausage sticks, breakfast sausage patties. Too much meat in this house :)
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 09:15:46 pm »
Has anyone tried to air skin a deer?  Just wondering.

Air Skinning a Coyote

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 09:22:51 pm »
Ok, that was a first for me.   Never seen that before.   See folks use a golf ball or rocks and pull the hide off with a truck or tractor, but never an air gun.   I don't guess it would work on a gutted animal.   

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 09:40:37 pm »
An old Greek showed me how to use that trick to skin a goat almost 50 years ago.  He used a basket ball needle and a hand operated tire pump.   Best thing is no, or almost no hair on the meat.  Important if your butchering a billygoat.

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 12:01:15 am »
AllenF, I thank it would also work on a field dressed deer.  I do think that you may have to blow up several different areas and perhaps hand massage the air bubble around to encourage the hide to turn loose.  I think that when making multiple blows that an old fashion football or basketball needle with a sharp point may work better.  Just slip it under the skin..

At any rate there is very little meat left on the hide making fleshing easier.  On goats it makes for a cleaner carcase, and saves time.  I am getting old and if air skinning won't work on field dressed deer, I will stop hunting  deer.