Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Opening weekend LUCK!  (Read 5833 times)

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
Opening weekend LUCK!
« on: November 17, 2008, 02:47:07 pm »
This is pure luck, but it's also the biggest buck I've ever taken with any weapon.

I actually saw him first as I was walking out through the prairie to my stand and misjudged the distance by over 20 yards so I missed. He did manage to meet me on the trail to my stand a bit later and a well-placed neck shot dropped him in his tracks!

How have y'all been doing this fall?

J-

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: Opening weekend LUCK!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 08:11:41 pm »
Congratulations! Abeautiful animal.  So how many point would it be?  Do you count the spikes on 1 antler or do you add them up? I always wondered about that.  He is the color of my goat!  Looks to have the neck/back ridge of hair too!  You will eat it, right? :?  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 09:35:17 pm »
In the midwest, we count "points" on all antlers. There's a little "hanger" at the base that you can't see in the photo, so he's an 11-point buck. You're darn right we'll be eating him! There's a LOT of "organic, range-fed" meet on that animal 'though he's probably 6-7 years old so it'll most likely be tough and gamey which means he'll go into the sausage.

Yes, he's beautiful! Lots of unique coloring, but I especially like the face colors. Almost wish I could afford to have it mounted...

J-

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 10:26:03 pm »
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 10:47:13 pm »
Congrats. I smell some venison vegetable soup with some bones thrown in for extra flavor.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 01:39:48 am »
"How have y'all been doing this fall?"

Ain't been even once yet at my place, going Friday though, congratulations on a mighty fine buck!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 08:31:20 am »
Way to go J!

I have not been hunting in about 5 years. Prior to that, I had a nice string of 4 and 6 points. But never had anything close to an 11 point. If I ever got one, it would be on the wall. Are you mounting it?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 10:19:20 am by BjornBee »
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 09:54:49 am »
If I ever got one, it would be on the wall. Are you mounting it?

I'll make a nice mount for the rack, definitely! I can't afford the cost of a full head mount, tho he'd definitely be a candidate.

J

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 09:55:20 am »
Nice Buck!!!

I have been so busy with work I have only managed one quick afternoon hunt.
I'm not sure what I saw during that hunt because I slept through the whole thing I woke up 2 hours after the sun had set.

Next week I have taken the whole week off my niece has been asking me to take her along on a deer trip so I will definitely make a few hunts. Now how much I will see is still unknown. Last year she asked me to take her on a squirrel hunt which I did but before we left I told her we had to be real quiet and not talk. She said no problem. We went and she was quiet she never said a word. But,as I was looking up scanning the trees I caught a shadow moving around behind me I turned and looked and sure enough there she was dancing like a little ballerina behind me on a log. Well at the end of the day we didn't see a whole lot but I sure did enjoy my time with her in the woods. Take time to take the little ones in the  woods both will enjoy it.

Keith

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 01:06:52 pm »
Well at the end of the day we didn't see a whole lot but I sure did enjoy my time with her in the woods. Take time to take the little ones in the  woods both will enjoy it.

That's the full truth! My two oldest sons, 13 and 9 are both hunting this year and it's an absolute blast! Sunday, they had practice for the church Christmas program so I was able to get out on my own into one of my "personal" stands.  ;)

Having the kids out hunting is a lot of fun, my brother actually volunteers to take the boys with him at times as well. You don't always get much actual hunting done, but it sure is fun! The kids really appreciate it too. I like to try and get my youngest out with me at least once. They like it because I make them a thermos of hot chocolate and bring snacks. Once the cocoa and cookies are gone, tho, it's time to go home...

J-

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 10:33:09 pm »
J, what a great picture and catch.  I like you toque by the way, it is my shade of orange, love that bright, blow yo eyes out orange!!!  I love to hear these stories, and what great times with the kids for everyone!!!  Have a wonderful, great day, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service