Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How do you prevent recurrence?  (Read 1809 times)

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
How do you prevent recurrence?
« on: June 08, 2009, 07:03:07 pm »
I was wondering what to use to prevent bees from returning to the site of their hive.  I have only done one "cutout" and it was tons of work.  Much more than the worth of the results.  I definitely learned a bunch, but my unanswered question is above.  How can I prevent, or at least deter, the bees from reestablishing their colony there?  Obviously cutting out everything is a step, but is there a chemical or anything with which I could treat the area? 

I swore I was done with "cutouts", but this couple really wants the bees gone.  They want them removed, not exterminated.  I appreciate this thought and want to oblige them.  They also are willing to pay, which makes it worthwhile.  I just don't have the time to commit to a "cutout" for free.  I want to do these folks right with as much prevention as possible.  Any thoughts?

"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: How do you prevent recurrence?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 07:07:25 pm »
clean out the area throughly and then make sure it is sealed up tight.  it is not uncommon for bees to reestablish in a previous site, or even in a different site in the same building.  the only solution is to plug all holes.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 07:10:44 pm »
Fill the cavity with fiberglass insulation when done.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 07:32:11 pm »
I might also ask, if most of us charge, or is this a free service provided by us?  If so, how much is fair?  It is quite a bit of work, so I think a healthy charge is in order, but wondered about the rest of us.
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline Valarie

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 07:43:49 pm »
swarms- free
cutout- $35/hour
of course any donations for gas are appreciated ;)
Peace, Love, & Sunshine!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 09:47:59 pm »
Cut out...FREE
Travel expense...300.00 and up.   :-D

I only do them free at my house, when there is no travel.  :evil:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 01:20:25 am »
is there a chemical or anything with which I could treat the area?
After the removal is complete, washing the area down with Pinesol (pine oil cleaner for those outside the US) helps to mask the scent of the former colony so that scouts do not find it again. It will last long enough to let the area dry out, and to close it up really good and seal it off.

Pinesol (diluted and sprayed on) helps a lot, along with sealing, screening, caulking the area.
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

anything