Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New to keeping bees.. life time interest, midlife new hobby.  (Read 2118 times)

Offline KentOkla

• New Bee
New to keeping bees.. life time interest, midlife new hobby.
« on: August 13, 2014, 01:22:10 am »
deleted original post.  doing as required.  Hi
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 10:42:27 pm by KentOkla »

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: New to keeping bees.. life time interest, midlife new hobby.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 10:57:58 pm »
Welcome. Same here, I've always been interested in bees but didn't get any until last year.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
Re:
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 11:17:50 pm »
Same here, but no bees yet.

Offline KentOkla

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 12:40:43 am »
I own a small business, Heating and air..  so I get to meet a lot of people in many different areas in southern Oklahoma..  one of my customers, who has been selling me local honey for allergies, decided he needed help. and felt I was serious about wanting to learn. so he sold me a brood box and a few Plastic frames,  in the super above it.  we just placed a sheet of plywood, with the water meter lid mounted in the center of the plywood,....  this is where he found the bees.. in a water meter!!!  so theres no frames in the top box..  he placed a wire screen over the opening..  so he queen couldn't leave out on me.  but I feel safe she may stay. and removed the jar out of the feeder..  thinking about going out tonight and remove the bottom half. they don't seem to realize they have a bigger opening through the feeder.  :)  haven't got stung yet!  wish me luck! 

Offline LaurieBee

• House Bee
  • I'm loving bees today. Interested in learning.
Re:
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 01:59:50 am »
Best if luck to you.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 06:54:11 am »
Good luck. Great way to start, having a mentor find you. Have you found a local bee club?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline KentOkla

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 10:54:43 am »
Thanks Laurie, I'll need all the luck I can find! :) 

Offline KentOkla

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 10:58:16 am »
sawdstmakr,  no, I don't think we have a local club...   I'm thinking about trying to see what it will take to start one..  Stirring the interest in bee's has pro and cons it seems,   everyone is interested in honey it seems, but the scare of Killer bees' seems to be a key factor in beekeeping,  a few miles from my town, a 66 year old man was out mowing around his hives, and was stung and died.. I'm not sure the facts.  but this statement has raised many eyebrows in our community..

Offline SkipS

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 09:25:10 pm »
Welcome Kent

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 08:30:17 am »
sawdstmakr,  no, I don't think we have a local club...   I'm thinking about trying to see what it will take to start one..  Stirring the interest in bee's has pro and cons it seems,   everyone is interested in honey it seems, but the scare of Killer bees' seems to be a key factor in beekeeping,  a few miles from my town, a 66 year old man was out mowing around his hives, and was stung and died.. I'm not sure the facts.  but this statement has raised many eyebrows in our community..
Kent,
I hear you.
Here in north FL we have been lucky so far. The AHB's have not moved north of I-4 but the state has added rules for the whole state based on AHB'S. Our club was able to minimize them a little but most of them stayed.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 09:15:43 pm »
Same here, getting first post in.  From Ohio/Indiana.