Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What gum is flowering in SE QLD at the moment?  (Read 3241 times)

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
What gum is flowering in SE QLD at the moment?
« on: November 23, 2012, 11:12:55 pm »
G'day to the Sunshine State.

I was in SEQ 2 weeks ago and I saw a gum (eucalypt) flowering and I'm wondering what it is. It was flowering 2 weeks ago at least, the flowers are large, creamy white clusters, not prolific but certainly noticeable. The trees had a rather open habit with a rounded crown. The ones I saw were from 20-40 feet tall perhaps. Ring any bells? Sorry, didn't get any photos.

On a side note, I was amazed at how many people have hives around there. Either I saw hives around or signs advertising honey seemingly all over the place. My wife just started rolling her eyes and hoping I wouldn't spot the honey sign by the side of the road as we were driving around. To be fair, I only brought home 2 jars but I did have fun pointing out all the potential stops to her. :-D

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
Re: What gum is flowering in SE QLD at the moment?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 09:21:20 pm »
I'm new here - first post - probably Euc Toreliana ( Cadagi) fantastic looking tree and a good producer. A few issues reported re native bees. Check before planting

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 09:39:55 pm »
Hey, good work max2, that could be it, thanks.

What issues does it pose for native bees?

Welcome to the forum too.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 01:11:18 am »
Apparently the native bees collect the seeds which are sticky and block the entrance. The jury is still out on this one as the native bees up north ( where the tree comes from) don't seem to have a problem. If you Google the name you will find a few papers on it - some very passionate ( as in " ban honey bees")

I tried to introduce myself but have no idea how to do this on this forum? Any clues to  an computer illiterate?

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 01:24:43 am »
I tried to introduce myself but have no idea how to do this on this forum? Any clues to  an computer illiterate?

"Hi, I'm Max"

anything