Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When to add Honey Supers?  (Read 3768 times)

Moots

When to add Honey Supers?
« on: May 23, 2013, 04:21:43 pm »
Feel like I should know the answer to this...But I don't...

So, How do you gauge when it's time to add a new Honey Super?  Since I'm a newbie, all my boxes will be wax foundation, no drawn comb.  So, should I base it on How much comb has been drawn in the current Super?  Or, How much honey is in the current Super? Or, How much honey has been capped in the current Super?  Any and all opinions appreciated.  :)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: When to add Honey Supers?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 05:04:09 pm »
Add a box when the last box is 70 to 90 percent drawn for new foundation. When you think the empty cells are less than 20 percent when drawn comb exists.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 05:31:17 pm »
I'm with Iddee.  Also, when the super is getting drawn out make sure to rotate the outer frames that are invariably not drawn all the way to the center to ensure all the frames get drawn out.  Bees will work the center until forced out and even then it may not be 100%.  If you move the undrawn to the center it ensures they'll finish them out.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Moots

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 05:38:32 pm »
iddee and D....

Sounds great...thanks for the advice and quick response, much appreciated!

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 06:51:43 pm »
It seems like there is a different answer for every beek out there on this one.... I have been more leaning more towards 90 to 95% drawn comb. So far so good, but as you know i am just as new as you... Actually you have a couple months on me...  :-D
Marshall

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 07:29:30 pm »
Dad gotta get in here now.

If the top bars are covered at this time of year then super.  The flow is on and they will need the room to work the nectar.  Coverd top bars in top super = add super during a flow.
No flow on then use the 7 of 10 frames rule of thumb
Bailey.
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 10:14:29 pm »
little side note.  when i have a new hive that has gotten strong enough to super, my first goal is to get the frames drawn out if they are not already.  anything after that is gravy...or honey.. ;)

to that end, the advice you got from D is very important.  even if you don't get honey this year, the more you have drawn out, the farther ahead you will be for next year.

and don't use an excluder with undrawn foundation/frames.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 10:27:33 pm »
Kathy.  He knows Shawee and I would probably break his fingers if he put a queen excluder on his hive except to keep a swarm in. ( on the bottom board ). :):)

Not really, but he has been taught better;)
Bailey.
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Moots

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 11:09:31 pm »
Kathy.  He knows Shawee and I would probably break his fingers if he put a queen excluder on his hive except to keep a swarm in. ( on the bottom board ). :):)

Not really, but he has been taught better;)
Bailey.

LOL! True...So True!  :-D

Offline Nature Coast Beek

• House Bee
  • Suck it up, buttercup!
    • Both Feet In
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 07:18:47 am »
Seems like I've actually heard and thought I read in a thread on another site and blogs that there are studies (haven't actually found/read them yet) showing that a strong, honey-making hive with room earlier will make more honey? This would over-ride the 70-90% rule. The notion was that It has to do with getting the bees in a frenzy/hoarding mode. The sense I got was that the bees on a strong flow would go into a sort of overdrive due to more storage capacity.

Does anyone know if this true or just (as Finski would say) more Internet fairy tales?    :rainbowflower:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 07:38:40 am by Nature Coast Beek »

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 07:31:27 pm »
Thanks for the input Dad.... Lol hope all is well down there in Raceland... Looks like the tallow is about to start up here....
Marshall

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 07:39:20 pm »
Nature coast

I believe the boost in honey production is due to more room to cure and store nectar until it is converted into honey. 
Since it is an evaporative process ( as well as enzymes etc)
The more room to have nectar drying the more honey is eventually produced.
Balancing act between having enough room and having enough bees to controller the surface area.
Bailey.