Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: splitting up comb in a TBH  (Read 1629 times)

Offline burns bees

• New Bee
splitting up comb in a TBH
« on: August 07, 2012, 04:07:13 am »
My bees have build double comb on a couple of the top bars. My bars are 2 1/2 inches wide, I've had a few people tell me that there to wide, that I need to install some that are 1 1/4 inches wide, I was wondering how do I go about doing this? I was wondering if I should cut the comb off and place it on the smaller bars all at once or do one a day or what? Any help?

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
Re: splitting up comb in a TBH
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 08:45:39 am »
You should start making new bars now to replace. 1 1/4" for honey and 1" for brood.  depending on length of tbh determine how many you need to fill it replace at will when you take honey sub in new ones. What do you use for centerline on tb? I use cotton string waxed in . hope this is helpful.

Offline burns bees

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 09:32:25 am »
Well I'm new at the whole thing. I inspected the hive the other day and they haven't really fill the comb up. It's all new comb. There a new hive. And that's what I'm worried about. If I go in and change things around. Will they be ok for winter?

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 09:38:40 am »
Can you easily attach the comb to new bars? If you can do that it shouldn't interfere with wintering hive. they still have time to repair. GL

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 10:54:03 am »
Most people say 1 1/4 in for the brood and 1 1/2 for the honey frames.  How many frames have comb on them.  I would recommend getting frames closer to size and transferring comb to them.  You may need to feed while they reattach the comb.  Good luck with your bees.

Joe

Offline burns bees

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 06:58:16 pm »
Ok got planned laid out. But one thing, how do I get the bees off the comb that are in between the comb? Smoking and brushing them doesn't seem to work. And I don't want to hurt any of them when I cut the comb off