Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is there anything to help with Wax Moth problem  (Read 3759 times)

Anonymous

Is there anything to help with Wax Moth problem
« on: June 06, 2005, 12:12:13 am »
I have a week hive that I decided to combine with a growing hive and I just put them together using a sheet of newspaper between the hive bodies.  After I had all the hive bodies in place I begin cleaning the method bottom board and stand.  In the crud at the bottom of the bottom board I discovered a large number of wax moth larve.  Have I infested my good hive?  Is there anything that can be done to salvage these bees?

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 01:20:31 am »
The bees naturally remove wax moth larva, adults and eggs and their main defence against these organisims.  The main question is, have the larva begun to burrow into your frames.  If they have you'll see little silk tunnels lining the midrib of the comb.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 12:34:12 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 02:31:32 pm »
Michael,
Thanks for the info on the Certan, I've ordered a bottle.  I haven't looked at the hive since I combined them so I don't know how they are doing.  I only get to inspect them on the weekends.

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 12:32:58 am »
The tropical storm kept me out of the hives Saturday but this morning the sun was shining and the bees were flying.  I checked on the combined hives and I think things are better.  I rearranged the comb in the hive and put the fuller frames in the bottom brood chamber and the empties in the top.  While I was in there I cleaned the bottom board of  the trash that had accumulated.  The bees certainly chewed the newspaper to shreds  There were quite a few moth larva in the stuff but I could not see any tunnels in the comb.  There is lots of capped brood and I see larva in several stages of development.  I have not found the queen but I know she is there somewhere.

anything