Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Totally enclosed hive  (Read 2881 times)

Offline slimecoat

• Brood
Totally enclosed hive
« on: April 19, 2005, 09:44:20 am »
I am wondering if it is possible to maintain a totally enclosed hive. Instead of letting the bees run free in the field Ill just keep them enclosed and feed them artificially. The exit to the hive would be a pvc pipe that empties into a screen box. The feeder will be located in the screen box. Can you think of any potential problems? Help and ideas are appreciated.
Thanks

Offline asleitch

• House Bee
Totally enclosed hive
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 09:49:35 am »
Problems? You'll get diease if they can't take a cleansing flight. No matter if you think you are feeding them properly - its no guarentee they will get all the nutrients etc they need from your food supply - trace minerals - that sort of thing. What happens when they try and swarm - they'll get pretty ropey if you don't do something.

How will they know where to carry to the dead bees to? And other unwanted hive products?

I think they would succomb to disease pretty quickly.

Adam

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Totally enclosed hive
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 10:47:48 am »
How will they get fresh pollen?  They will be totally stressed, but if you feed them FRESH pollen, my prediction is they will survive about three months or so.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin