Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How do I transfer ferral bees?  (Read 3360 times)

Offline Larry_

• Brood
How do I transfer ferral bees?
« on: March 23, 2008, 11:23:07 pm »
I am not a beekeeper but one summer in Oklahoma I had the opportunity to work bees. That sparked my interest so here I am!

I am in SW Arizona and have had bees living under a 40 foot container for 4 years now. I saw them swarm once and thought they were gone but the hive continues to thrive. The entrance is at ground level. The orange and citrus blossoms are on now and I have orchards all around me. The bees are very busy ;)

If I buy a starter kit, how do I go about transferring the bees into the hive boxes I set up? They are very gentile. I spent time close to them and seen no aggression. If I just set the hives near their entrance on the ground, will they just move in?

Interesting reading here. Thank you all in advance for your response.

Larry

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Re: How do I transfer ferral bees?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 11:45:20 pm »
use the search engine for hiving swarms. there are lots of techniques. Mostly suit up and cut out. Rubber band comb into foundationless frames.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 11:52:13 pm »
Larry,

Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of great information and someone will be able to answer your question. Good luck on getting them.

DennisB

Offline Larry_

• Brood
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 12:17:38 am »
use the search engine for hiving swarms. there are lots of techniques. Mostly suit up and cut out. Rubber band comb into foundationless frames.

I probably can not reach the hive without digging. The container weighs 15,000 lbs.  I have been reading the threads on hive removal. I will keep searching for a method.

Thanks,
Larry

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 01:28:34 am »
Yeah, you might need a back hoe
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 01:53:32 am »
Yeah, you might need a back hoe

If you want this hive, like Jerry says, you will have to go in and get them, even if it recquires digging. Or, you can place swarm traps out and hope to catch a swarm from this hive, but they will not just move in on their own, they are happy where they are now. You will have to evict them if you want them.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 10:50:05 am »
Larry, welcome to our forum.  You have found the right place to ask your questions, you will get those answers.  Good luck with your endeavours with the bees.  Beautiful and wonderful day in this great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service