Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Input needed on a lazy hive, please.  (Read 5746 times)

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
Re: Input needed on a lazy hive, please.
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 09:50:37 am »
Could you split a hive that you like the genetics of like a false swarm?  Take the old queen and some bees and put them in a nuc, and then leave the original hive with the majority of eggs and brood hoping they will make a new queen?

The reason I ask is because of the previous postings along with the fact that I finished my round of inspections today and even though I have to go over my notes and records to confirm this, I think 7 out of the 8 queens I bought this spring are toast.

I know this really falls under another category, but it seems like we're on a really nice role here!
Of course you can do a split as you suggest.  In that case, I would move the old queen, 3 frames of brood, and two frames of honey/pollen into a new hive box.  You could use a standard 10 frame box and just start a new hive.  The old hive will have all the foragers and will, with any luck, raise a new queen.  But that way you only get one new queen. You would also want to check that there are still drones flying where you are.

If you are wanting to replace 7 queens, you will need to take some of the queen cells produced in the old hive that has good genes and spread them around to hives where you squish the queens. I would squish the queen in each hive and then add the queen cell within one day.  That way, the hive won't kill the new queen cell and the queen cell you add will have a head start on any of the eggs in the hive.

But it's late in the year to do any of this unless you have a strong fall flow and are willing to feed sugar,
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 10:46:24 am »
Yup, thats how I did it. That way you retain the genetics of both the old hive and your nuc.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnewbees.htm#split

Beat you to it Michael!

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 11:58:04 am »
Alright, out to the apiary I go....I do have a weaker split that could use a temporary population boost!  At least they can benefit from a few extra workers for awhile!
I try not to wax too anthropomorphic over the queen.  Really, she's just one bug who happens to lay eggs.  :-D  The long term assets of the hive are the drawn comb, honey and pollen stores, and worker bees.  Good genes are an important asset too, but the eggs carry the genes.  One queen, more or less, does not make much difference.

wow anthropomorphic, you didn't hurt yourself on that one did you?

:lau: :lau:

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 01:34:33 pm »
wow anthropomorphic, you didn't hurt yourself on that one did you?

Not at all.  I trust you didn't injure yourself in your haste to look it up.   :-D     
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 02:20:03 pm »
Touche        :evil:

anything