Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: should I feed now?  (Read 4069 times)

Offline firetool

• House Bee
should I feed now?
« on: January 16, 2006, 08:26:58 pm »
:D  good to be back every one.  I hope ever one had a good Christmas and happy new year!
We are haveing a very warm winter here. we have had some days of seventies and eighties. Do I need to feed the bees I am afraid they will use up there feed supplies to soon.

Brian

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
should I feed now?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 11:32:06 pm »
You may want to start checking their stores. If you think they are light, then you may want to give them something. With temps that high, you could do an inspection without any worries and have a more definite idea of what they have available.  When do you normally get your first bloom?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
should I feed now?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 07:47:46 am »
If the hive is heavy, I wouldn't worry about it.  If it's light, put some feed on.  They may not take it, if it's too cold, but at least it's there for warm days.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline taw

• New Bee
feeding pollin in january
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 07:00:50 pm »
Quote from: Michael Bush
If the hive is heavy, I wouldn't worry about it.  If it's light, put some feed on.  They may not take it, if it's too cold, but at least it's there for warm days.

Folks around here (NC) are talking about feeding pollin for spring buildup. Red Maple starts blooming the first week in February. We are almost there so... *shrug*. They have plenty of honey stores (I feed them a couple weeks ago just to make sure - 'twas a bit light).

Thoughts?
<Insert witty signature here>

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
should I feed now?
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 07:29:16 pm »
I don't live in North Carolina.  :)  Maybe it's a good time to feed there.  I did put pollen patties on and there are frame feeders in my hives, but they aren't very interested int he syrup.  I put some dry pollen and substitute out and the bees are going nuts for that.  They are also searching every old comb on the place for bits of pollen.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline taw

• New Bee
pollin in NC
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 11:57:59 am »
I don't live in North Carolina.  :)  Maybe it's a good time to feed there.  I did put pollen patties on and there are frame feeders in my hives, but they aren't very interested int he syrup.  I put some dry pollen and substitute out and the bees are going nuts for that.  They are also searching every old comb on the place for bits of pollen.

That's all I needed. Thanks. I will feed these guys pollin then. They probably need it. I just wanted a second opinion or experience. Thank.

-todd

Offline taw

• New Bee
Re: pollin in NC
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 07:20:34 pm »
Quote from: taw

That's all I needed. Thanks. I will feed these guys pollin then. They probably need it. I just wanted a second opinion or experience. Thank.

-todd

*pollen* even. Geez. I can't spell.
-todd

Offline latebee

• House Bee
should I feed now?
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 11:30:22 pm »
Sometimes if you feed 1 to 1 syrup too early, brood production can be stimulated and this will cause problems. Try not to give them over a quart of this syrup at any one time. 2 to 1 syrup should not cause a harmful  increase in brood production, as long as there is not a lot of pollen or water availiable in cold weather.
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

Offline firetool

• House Bee
I got in the hive the other day
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 08:44:43 pm »
I decided it was warm enough to get into the hive the other day to see how they were doing.I had already mixed up suger water, so I put that on to anyway. I liked what I found.They still had alot of honey in the hives still. One week later they had not even used half of the suger water. I was very pleased to see this.

Brian Nall

Offline DBoire

• House Bee
should I feed now?
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 09:45:09 pm »
I've often found that "if light feed, if heavy ok"  difficult to deal with.  I use the rule that a colony should never have less than the equivalent of 3-4 full combs of honey.  I like to quantify whenever possible.