Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tanging- the myth lives on  (Read 14505 times)

bigbearomaha

Tanging- the myth lives on
« on: September 26, 2009, 11:07:30 pm »
 I recently heard of Tanging, the act of banging two metal items, such as a pot and a metal spoon together when a swarm is on a tree or even in the air.  Researching the phenomenon, it appears to be clouded primarily in 'myth' yet I have heard first hand reports of it's success in modern times.

I fully intend to try this method in the future and would like to hear other persons stories of it's success ( or not) as well.

I have heard reasoning for it's success range from the vibrations sound like thunder, stirring a 'weather alert' in the bees, encouraging them to seek immediate shelter  (which you as the bee handler willingly provide) I have also heard the vibrations from the banging ( tanging) somehow affect the bees equilibrium or some such, causing them to seek 'stable' and 'safe' lodgings (again, willingly provided by the bee handler.)

What say you?

Big Bear

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Tanging- the myth lives on
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 11:14:44 pm »
Myth or not, I have done it many times and will continue to do so. I only do it to get them to land, I have never heard of using it for a swarm that has already landed.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 11:27:13 pm »
I have never seen my bees fly back to the hives as they are emptying dumpsters over at the recycling place next to the farm, while making boom and crashing sounds.

I know when I hear thunder in the distance, a bum rush is seen as the bees make a dash back to the hives. I have never seen this when someone is banging pots, etc. So why would a swarm be so easily fooled into think this? One minute....ok, girls, all is clear, lets go....and 2 minutes later outside the hive, they are grounded due to artificial thunder??? I don't buy it.

I think bees are way more advanced and in toon with the barometric pressures as fronts approach, static electricity in the air, temp changes, and other cues of any impending thunderstorm.

As for iddee....I hear he just likes to run around the backyard naked banging on pots and pans.... :lau:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 11:50:06 pm »
Normal reaction from a dang yankee......  :roll:

When a swarm is in the air, drumming, "tanging", will cause them to land 90+% of the time. Why, I never asked them. Never really cared, as long as I got the swarm.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 12:12:17 am »
I never seen a swarm NOT land.....and so you can put me down for 100% success WITHOUT banging on pots.... ;)

And I bet that same success if I take my left thumb and stick it in my ear..... :lau:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 12:19:32 am »
I'm with Iddee on this one,I had two swarms land by this method over the summer.Call us crazy,but I will take this method over the left thumb in the ear. That would just be silly.

Offline heaflaw

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 01:01:29 am »
The left thumb in ear method only works if you pull your left arm behind your head and put your thumb in you right ear.  Of course, if it's a really big swarm or they're way up in the air, you should use both thumbs in both ears. 

Offline heaflaw

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 01:20:57 am »
Actually, I'm very glad this was thread was started.  When I was a child, I saw family members do this lots of times.  I thought this was probably a local belief and I'm glad to know other areas of the US do it also.

Offline Coge

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 01:24:57 am »
I have had good success using this method. I have also had success spraying a swarm with water. Either method works very well.
Coge
But for the grace of God it would be you instead of me.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 04:54:34 am »
Hello,

I haven't had the chance to try it out yet, but the rationale I heard from a beek here was that making a loud noise covers over the sound of the queen.  They can't follow the queen so their only option is to land.  They suggested using a chainsaw or something loud like that.  And banging on an empty box is meant to attract them, because they supposedly recognise the sound of hollow wood, like the hollow tree they are seeking. 

Mind you, I'm not smart enough to read a bee's mind.

Lone

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 09:18:41 am »
I'm with Iddee on this one,I had two swarms land by this method over the summer.Call us crazy,but I will take this method over the left thumb in the ear. That would just be silly.

Not at all Ken. You see, bees will then follow your lead after seeing you with your left finger in one ear, they will then put a finger in an ear also. Since with all the banging going on, and the bees not able to follow the queen by "hearing" her, they can listen with one ear much better. We all know that bees fly in a clockwise manner, so blocking the left ear as a bee flies in a large circle allows them to concentrate the right ear inwards to where the queen is. They hear much better that way. And if they do get sprayed down by a bottle of water, they will not get water in both ears that way. This is all coming together nicely....  X:X

When you have successfully caught the swarm, there is a follow up procedure called the "tang-tang". It is tangeuray gin mixed with orange tang. So here is to all the tangers out there.... :cheer: May I suggest a strong drink for some of you...... :pinkelephant:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

bigbearomaha

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 09:40:13 am »
Hello,

I haven't had the chance to try it out yet, but the rationale I heard from a beek here was that making a loud noise covers over the sound of the queen.  They can't follow the queen so their only option is to land.  They suggested using a chainsaw or something loud like that.  And banging on an empty box is meant to attract them, because they supposedly recognise the sound of hollow wood, like the hollow tree they are seeking. 

Mind you, I'm not smart enough to read a bee's mind.

Lone

Well, with bees supposed to be 'deaf', I'm not sure they are actually 'hearing' it.  But, bees respond to air vibrations different than we do.  technically, people 'hearing' is just our brains interpreting air vibrations hitting our eardrums anyway.

bees may not not 'interpret air vibrations the same way we do, but they interpret them and respond.

One person here has used tanging to coax them out of the air on several occassions he says.  Another woman says her brother has used tanging with bees already on a tree branch or other locations and it motivated them to move toward the ground, which is where he had the box. She claims to have sat and watched the whole ordeal on a number of occasions.

On internet searches, one will come across a drawing of a colonial man tanging at bees already on a branch in order to get them to drop from the branch down to his basket on the ground.

Big Bear

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 10:05:55 am »
>>>>It is tangeuray gin mixed with orange tang. So here is to all the tangers out there.... cheer May I suggest a strong drink for some of you.....<<<<

After that post, I'm not sure you left any for us. I may have to break into my moonshine just to keep up with you.   :-* 

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 10:35:38 am »
>>>>It is tangeuray gin mixed with orange tang. So here is to all the tangers out there.... cheer May I suggest a strong drink for some of you.....<<<<

After that post, I'm not sure you left any for us. I may have to break into my moonshine just to keep up with you.   :-* 

Don't blame me...it was a bunch of drunk southerners banging on pots after weddings that probably started this whole thing anyways. They just carried over the wedding celebration into a few days, or possibly even a week, and this is how many myths are started.   :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 10:47:02 am »
So lets recap....

90% or better of swarms will land after banging on pots. This still leaves open the discussion of what happens to the other 10%.... :-Ds

Spraying down a swarm will also be effective.

Bees do not "hear" the queen in swarm flight with all the banging.

Bees do not "hear" but react to vibrations. a radical concept for sure.

Now iddee....if I have not left you anything to comment on, please do have a drink. Sit back. Enjoy! I know I am... :roll:  I'm learning so much.

a wild question...... If a queen walks into a bar and pipes, and at the bar drinking tang-tang, is a beekeeper and a bee, ....which one hears her and which one does not? Which one reacts to only vibrations?

Come-on iddee.....have another one. It is raining, and I'll probably not be working bees today. And the good game. the colts, in not on till tonight....  ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

bigbearomaha

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 01:13:11 pm »
Actually, I am trying to encourage 'serious' discussion of the topic.  if you are not going to contribute to that, I ask please don't keep posting scornful or making fun of the discussion.

If you are among those who considers it myth, saying such is all that's necessary.  Thank you.

Big Bear

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 01:40:32 pm »
Actually, I am trying to encourage 'serious' discussion of the topic.  if you are not going to contribute to that, I ask please don't keep posting scornful or making fun of the discussion.

If you are among those who considers it myth, saying such is all that's necessary.  Thank you.

Big Bear

Oh you demand serious comments. How's this?

It's called a myth by many, as YOUR title claims.

I thinks it's bogus that a queen can not "HEAR" other bees flying in a swarm due to some guy running around banging on pots and pans. Maybe you can look up the word pheromone and actually.....no seriously, discuss how bees track each other in a swarm.

Bees do in fact HEAR sound, which happens to be "VIBRATIONS". That is what "sound" is for Pete's sake. What? Because they have no ears, that they can not hear?

I believe that all swarms come down. Almost all swarms when first issued, will land within 100 yards of the colony. So whether one bangs on pots or not, swarms will land. And I still believe me sticking my thumb in my ear is as effective.

I give much in my amazement to what bee can do. Absolutely fascinating creatures. I know they can sense an approaching storm front, can feel barometric changes, and feel electric static in the air. I am not one to think that they are so easily fooled by banging on pots.

I've had bees actually stay up in trees for days through thunderstorms. But I am supposed to consider that storm had a weaker effect then some pot banging.

I actually thought this was some badly timed "April Fools" joke for the new beekeepers to enjoy. But this whole thing is sad to think of some of the comments that were presented.

I thought it was hilarious and joined in. But now you are demanding I can or can not express my opinion, take part in this hilarious discussion, or comment how I feel beyond simply acknowledging it a myth or not....get real. This is a discussion group.

Here is a challenge,.....Lets have a video contest this coming year. Lets see how many verifiable videos we can make PROVING this? Seems we have filmed about everything else. Why no video of someone sitting under a tree with some pots and pans, and seeing if the bees in a swarm will respond on cue to a swarm box below. Don't you think this has been called a "myth" long enough?

And to think I've been climbing up a ladder after swarms all these years. I'll try sitting around banging on pots next year. Just be serious now, and let me know how long I should bang on pots before I give up and climb the ladder and knock them into a box?

And please let me know of any potential "problems" that may be used as an excuse in "why" the bees did not go into my box or come lower after I banged on the pots. Do I need particular pots? Cast iron, steel....come on now, do not let me hang here. I look forward to banging on pots next spring as I go about collecting swarms.

Let me know of any further demands on the subject. I'll see what I can do.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2009, 01:51:27 pm »

On internet searches, one will come across a drawing of a colonial man tanging at bees already on a branch in order to get them to drop from the branch down to his basket on the ground.

Big Bear

If I showed you text or even a picture of a colony headed by a "king" or a map of the world depicting it as "flat"....doesn't really mean much does it...  :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

bigbearomaha

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 02:30:22 pm »
no, I did not suggest you could not express your opinion, please learn to read without becoming emotional.  I asked for serious discussion on a topic that hasn't been given a lot of it over time, tat's not a difficult request now is it?

If you choose to belittle other peoples ideas simply because you beleive you opinion can be the only correct one,  I feel sorry for you.

I started this thread,  I feel it is an interesting 'side venue to pursue.  no one asked you to hijack it because you think it is silly.  If you dislike it so much, you can be accommodated simply by not visiting it.  That's called personal choice and civil behavior.

All I am 'asking' you to do is keep to the topic.  if you want to be childish and mock the notion, I'm sure no one would stop you from starting your own thread dedicated to contentious on the subject.  

On another note, for the rest of the folks interested in actually discussing the topic seriously,  I have a theory. Is it possible, with new studies showing bees might be able to 'hear' of a sort certain frequencies, that perhaps the old timers habit of 'tanging' could have, by sheer luck, found a frequency once in a while that bees are responsive to? Causing them to settle sooner, rather than later?  This could take into consideration both cause and effect as well as coincidence.

Big Bear

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 02:53:19 pm »
This is mind blowing! You suggest that if one considers it a myth, that you just want one to acknowledge that, and forego any discussions. Then accuse me reading more into it.

Then you turn around and claim I believe my own opinion is the only correct one and that you feel sorry for me, which is demeaning and doing exactly what you claim others are doing.

I'm not belittling anyone.

You wanted serious discussion.

I made statements as to whether bees hear sound, and called into question other comments. But you ignore that. And just went on the offensive again, now throwing in "childish" among other things.

Feeling sorry for me in assuming my thoughts, calling someone childish....all from the angle of incorrectly suggesting someone else was doing exactly what you are doing......your not a liberal leftist are you.... :-D

Please do not act all righteous and suggesting civil behavior....after what you just posted.

You did not offer one rebuttal on anything I said. How about you getting serious, and if you can not further the discussion with intelligent discussions, then how about just stopping. Oh wait, that is what you were suggesting.

Never mind..... :roll:

Discussions are here to be debated. To agree or disagree. That is how people learn. Makes no difference who started the thread. You do not own it. It is here for all to comment. When someone makes a comment that is questionable or is outright wrong, then it should be pointed out as such. Not ignored as if stepping on another persons toes is a personal attack.  Way to personal feelings that's for sure.

You commented about a colonial picture. I merely pointed out that I could pull out many colonial pictures and thoughts from the period that are far less than accurate. If you think that is attacking you, I am truly sorry....  ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org