Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Storing 2:1 sugar syrup, Need help please!!  (Read 16240 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Storing 2:1 sugar syrup, Need help please!!
« on: August 26, 2010, 08:53:31 pm »
For some reason my mind has drawn a blank on this, but how do I store 2:1 sugar syrup if I want to make up a large batch.

I believe it cannot be put into the refrigerator because it would crystalize really fast. Is this correct??

Can it just be stored in the garage for a couple of weeks??

I know it can be frozen, but do not have the room in the freezer right now for such a large container.

Thanks for the help
Annette

Offline mathew

• House Bee
Re: Storing 2:1 sugar syrup, Need help please!!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 09:21:36 pm »
Hey Annette,

I just spent the whole of Monday cooking 2;1 sugar syrup for my bees. As it is sugar and sugar is a preservative, you do not need to store them in the fridge or freezer. I stored them in room temperature.

I made 80 litres of 2:1 sugar syrup and stored them in 6 gallon pails. I kept one bucket near the hive so that I don't have to carry the heavy buckets around when I feed. The rest of the bucket are just kept in the shed or anywhere dry. Of course u have to keep a lid on the bucket. You can get your buckets from Home Depot or Lowe's. I got them on craigslist for $10 for 6. People throw alot of stuff away and thats a good way of getting it cheap. Just make sure they are not used to store paint or chemicals before.

Hope this suggestion helps.

Offline kbenz

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 09:40:47 pm »
does it not get moldy?

Offline mathew

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 03:24:52 pm »
does it not get moldy?

This is the 1st year i've made them in bulk. I am not expecting them to go moldy. Lets see. I really hope they don't.

Offline pembroke

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 04:45:21 pm »
I fixed some 2-1 syrup by boiling water and then added sugar and stirred till dissolved. put in 5 gal container after cooled and set in refrig. for about a week then started to feed. Had about a gal left over and put back in frig. couple wks later got it out to finish the last off and low and behold it had MOLD around container. hardest stuff to get out of container ever was. will make smaller batches from now on and feed all at once. NO left overs. Just my two cent worth. Pembroke

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 05:46:23 pm »
Do the research 'cuz I'm not sure and haven't tried it, but I've read that you can add essential oils, vinegar, or some bleach to the syrup, and it will slow down mold and fermentation.
Rick

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 06:17:38 pm »
I will last a month or so at room temperature, but it will eventually mold without additional preservatives.
-Mike

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 07:02:37 pm »
treat it the same as HONEY even if it candys -bring it back in hot watter bath-
2:1 has so much sugar it shouldnt mold-1:1 will mold -try a litel lemon juice -just a dap-RDY-B
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 07:15:31 pm by rdy-b »

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 12:48:29 am »
Thanks for all the responses to my post. I seems the best thing to do perhaps is not make up such a large amount at once.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 11:54:56 am »
i never had a problem, it room temp and a dark area in a room and i have had it last 2 months 
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline mathew

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 06:16:14 pm »
Making small amounts are good if your hives are nearby. My hives are half an hour away and carrying sugar syrup to it can be quite taxing. i decided I can't afford the time to make sugar syrup every week and will save me the effort of carrying heavy sugar syrup.

Anyway you can make an exact amount. THis is how I calculated how much to make. There is about 6-8 weeks more before the bees will start to cluster. Make 8 gallons/hive. 1 gallon/week. 8 glns=3.86*8=30.88 litres. You'll need 20kg of sugar and 10 litres of water to feed your hive for winter.

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 12:56:49 pm »
I strongly recommend the use of 'Apple Cider Vinegar' as the only natural preservative added to the syrup.  Mix at 1 tablespoon per gallon of syrup.  Excellent storage longevity!  Add to that, placing the buckets in a cooled environment.  Also, fill the bucket to the top leaving as little room for oxygen in as possible.  Syrup should last all season.

I don't know about essential oils.  I've never used them.
Make Mead!

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 04:38:05 pm »
My 1:1 molds in about 3 days at room temp.  Haven't made 2:1 yet to know.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline mathew

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 04:56:15 pm »
I've heard that when using essential oils you have to be careful with the amount used as to much can be fatal. So I won't recommend essential oils unless it is backed up with research.

Offline jzinger

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 10:05:38 pm »
There are plenty of online recipe for adding essential oils to syrup batches - I'm going with 15 drops lemongrass and 15 drops spearmint for a 1 gallon quantity of syrup.  BUTTT, I also made the syrup ahead, because I wanted it to have thyme tea in it (thymol, the easy way), and then froze it, so it's sort of soft and squishy in the freezer now.  Didn't put the essential oils into it because they will evaporate, and lose their efficacy, so will do that once thawed and ready to be put on the hive.  Whenever that is!

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 05:14:01 pm »
If you are going to use EO you must also use a emullifier so the oil mixes in- or it wil keep floating to the surface-and the consistance of the batch will very-lectin is the choice of most-there are many ways to use this-do the research-or you can buy one of the many EO suplements on the market-such as Honey b healthy or pro health-RDY-B

anything