Author Topic: me  (Read 4779 times)

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
me
« on: May 23, 2007, 01:44:58 pm »
how to get rid of this nasty pest?
keeps peeking inside, disturbing bees and stuff. what's the best way to get rid of it? is there some kind of lure? like a big queen with lots of pheromones or something? is there a trap? are there any other ways to keep this pesky critter of the back of my bees?
i swear to god i see him like..30-50 times a day just walking up the backyard just to peek in front of hives. he's really annoying!

HELP PLEASE!

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: me
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 02:29:09 pm »
i have one of those too. :-)  just wandering across the field and watching the bees come and go.  sometimes popping the top just to see what's happening.......
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 02:49:02 pm »
He just walks by mine. Always goes behind and sometime will peep around to see whats going on at the entrance. Unless he has something to check he doesn't open the hive no more than once in 7 to 10 days.
doak

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 02:51:30 pm »
You find a willing member of the opposite sex and have them parade around in a provocative manner to distract this intruder. Perhaps the culprit will even follow the lure completely out of the bee yard.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 03:09:48 pm »
a naked man in my bee yard isn't going to do much for me  :-).  not to mention the danger to certain parts that are protected and valued more than life itself on the naked man.  i'll run the idea by my husband......
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 03:44:40 pm »
You find a willing member of the opposite sex and have them parade around in a provocative manner to distract this intruder.

gotta get me one of those :shock:
any other, at least a temporary solution?

dang, i see i'm not the only one with this bugger. oh no! here he goes again!!!

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 04:03:53 pm »
Anyone that tells you they don't have this problem, watch them closely cause they will lie about other things too.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 04:20:44 pm »
Get him/her an observation hive.  :-D

Been spending a lot of time in the back room watching a small hive deal with small hive beetle  :-x  But so far the bees are winning.  :)

And watching them create, cap, and tear down queen cells so often for no apparent reason.
Rick

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 05:06:47 pm »
love the observation hive idea. I try my best to stay away and for most part I do, but other times....
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 11:22:19 am »
Scadsobees.  When they build and tear down queen cups, I think that they are practising to ensure that when the time comes and they need to build the ultimate house for the queen babies, they can do it perfectly.  The queen will be looked after like she is the most important body in the hive (of course, she is!!!!).  Have a wonderful day.  Great life, great health.  Cindi

I love the site that Michael Bush has.   I am going to get my husband one day to build me an observation hive.  I think that would be the most fun thing in the world to do.  He is so busy building stuff for me now, like the slatted bottomboards and some more screened bottomboards.  I am a lucky woman.  This man loves to build things for me.  C
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline BenC

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 11:11:57 am »
how do you reduce an impact on each individual hive?  Easy- add more hives.  The pest has to spend less time per hive in order to get to them all, effectively reducing pesky impact. :)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 01:00:04 pm »
but my deck is getting crowded!  :shock:

LT

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 02:23:43 pm »
and i have them stacked together so...when looking at one, i'm looking at the other five as well, which i forgot to tell, i made another hive, nuc basicly.

anything