Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello From Northern California  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Brian Camp

• New Bee
    • My Myspace Page
Hello From Northern California
« on: March 10, 2008, 01:10:19 pm »
Hello all!  GREAT SITE YOU GOT HERE!! Just wanted to say a quick hello. My name is Brian and I live near Sacramento CA. I am new to the froum. My wife and I have been talking about keeping Bee's for some time now. So I have come here to try to learn more about the subject. I work as a naturalist and am truly amazied by entomology. So again hello to all and I look forward to getting to know many of you!

Thanks for reading!
     Brian C.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 03:27:50 pm by Brian Camp »
Thanks!
Brian

Offline blckoakbees

• House Bee
Re: Hello From Northern California
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 05:05:13 am »
Brian,

Welcome.  I live in Sacramento and have bees in Fiddletown in Amador County.  If you don't know this you might want to go by the Beekeeping supply store on Y street as the Sacramento Beekeeping club is having a beginning beekeeping class in March and you can sign up for it there. It is like $35 on a Saturday.

If you are interested in beekeeping the class is an excellent way to start.  I took it last year and joined the club.  I have enjoyed this club very much and have learned an incredible amount on this formun as well.

I started with three hives then creatures got one when my solar electric fence failed.  The other two survived the winter and look great.

Welcome.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 07:45:32 am »
Hello and Welcome!

Let me second blckoakbees suggestion to take a beekeeping class and get involved with a local club. While this is a great forum to learn about bees, nothing beats having a few mentors nearby to show you the ropes. I bet that once you get started with bees, you'll be able to offer some interesting perspectives given your background as a naturalist. I'm looking forward to it!

Offline Brian Camp

• New Bee
    • My Myspace Page
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 12:19:54 pm »
Hey thanks for the info and welcome :). I will look into that class. Sac is only up the street for me. Y Street is maybe 45 min from me. Thank you!

Thanks!
Brian

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 04:42:52 pm »
Hi Brian,

I am 45 minutes up the road from Sacramento. Going into my third year with the bees and what an adventure. I took the beginner beekeeping class being offered by the Bee Store. (Actually the beekeeping association). I have one thing to offer about this. I had read some books first like Beekeeping for Dummies and some others. When I went into the class I understood more of what was being said. I wasn't totally in the dark. Randy Oliver is teaching this class and he is very good. I did a few hours of work with him a couple of years ago. Wish I could have done more but could not get away at the time.

Now, I understand so much and any questions I have I can get the help from this forum.

Good Luck with the new hobby
Annette from Placerville California

anything