Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: "Killer" bees  (Read 2844 times)

bigbearomaha

"Killer" bees
« on: October 27, 2010, 11:04:05 pm »
killer bees

I just read this article online.

What's your take on this?

Big Bear

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: "Killer" bees
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 11:12:53 pm »
He said that the bees are meaner this year than ever.   To me, this means more african traits are moving into the area, european genes are getting displaced. 

Second thing he said was that all bee are killer bees.  That is true if you give them enough time to get requeened with an AHB queen and you are highly allergic to bee stings. 

Offline bulldog

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 11:24:48 pm »
sounds like he is using scare tactics on a naive public to drum up more business
Confucius say "He who stand on toilet is high on pot"

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 12:11:58 am »
So, the "killer bee guy" says that all bees in Arizona are africanized, warns people that keeping a nuisance hive in Arizona is illegal, then takes many of those same bees home to make more of that "Killer Bee Honey".

Sounds like Marketing-Through-Fear 101.

Offline tecumseh

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 08:29:12 am »
a snip from the article..
It's illegal in Arizona to have a known nuisance beehive on your property. You must have the bees removed, Reed Booth said.

and the customary question from tecumseh:
so mr booth is taking these hives home all of which are africanized and thereby knowingly breaking the Arizona law?

his statement that all (well perhaps not all in the purest sense of he word???) hives in Arizona are africanized likely does apply to the great majority of feral hives in southern Arizona.  it is my understanding from various poster from a couple of forums that maintaining european honeybees is extremely difficult in those environments.
I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 02:13:19 pm »
If all these bees in Arizona are AHB, just how much African are they?   With bee keepers buying European queens all the time, should the AHB genes get watered down after a while.  So the bees are still hot, but are they as hot as they were 10 years ago?  Is that the difference between 100 stings and 1,000 stings?

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 02:22:37 pm »
Now see, those are questions beekeepers ask. 

This is a local article, in a local paper, written by a local reporter, who (probably) doesn't know anything about bees.  The only thing the "killer bee guy" cares about is that all the local people read the article are suitably frightened enough that they call him whenever they see bees.

I'm not real impressed with the reporting skills of Dana Cole, either, for just taking his word for it and writing it that way.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 02:26:30 pm »
But he sell killer bee honey.   That stuff is so unique, you just can't buy it anywhere, it is so special........

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 03:41:26 pm »
I tried that killer bee honey once...Peggy said I got mean as a snake.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 03:51:01 pm »
So it is all in the honey.   That makes sense.  :-D

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 05:11:33 pm »
I tried that killer bee honey once...Peggy said I got mean as a snake.

Scott

OMG! AHB genetics can be passed on to humans? From AHB honey? OMG! I live in an AHB area! OMG! I'm moving to Alaska! OMG!

anything