Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Eden Park, Vic Bee Hive Removal  (Read 16605 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Eden Park, Vic Bee Hive Removal
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 05:21:58 pm »
Paul, the setup looks good. I think I would lift the hive about 50 MM and let it rest against the plywood. Also, back it up 25 MM if the cone is touching it.Sometimes, if they can walk to the tip of the cone, they will walk into the entrance. The hive gives the cone a wall and they can see the exit. It then becomes an entrance.

Lone, the queen does make it out, but most times heads for parts unknown with the last cupful of workers. In rare instances, VERY RARE, she will go in the hive.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 06:48:41 pm »
Thanks Iddee.  By the way, I like your "downunder" measurement conversion!

Lone

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 07:06:07 pm »
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.  :D

I can use the metric system when needed. I just try to use what the other side of the conversations prefer.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 09:39:18 am »
I like to work in cubits. :-D

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 10:59:09 am »
great work mate, i told them to keep their pants on, they were buggen out about having them there, so great to hear things are going well. let us know hoe you go!!! great to save another bee colony.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 07:17:39 pm »
bernsad, everybody likes a little, nobody likes a wise................   :-P   :-P

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 11:10:42 pm »
Thanks iddee, I'll keep that in mind. :-D

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2012, 05:45:08 am »
how is this going?

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 10:42:36 am »
how is this going?
Cruising along nicely. Last visit there were still a couple bees coming out. (probably  2 in half an hour) I'll give it another couple of weeks before pulling the cone off to let the old hive get robbed out. I've not seen any other exits in the 3 times I've been out there so hopefully there isn't one and everything is good.

Paul

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2012, 08:00:20 pm »
    Whats wrong with tanging them out Iddee?.   All you need is a plastic bucket and a big stick.
For a good example of tanging try this link   log swarm @ Bud3.wmv

Sorry Wally I should have said the best example !!!
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2012, 11:08:45 pm »
Hello, Geoff. Glad to see you. Where have you been?

Now, you know tanging doesn't work. No more than trapouts do.   :-P   :-D

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2012, 08:30:00 pm »
I went to check on the trap out yesterday. When I checked last week, they had found another entrance under the bark & were bringing in pollen, so I sealed that up. This week there was no activity at the cone so I gave it a couple of good puffs of smoke and a few minutes later, this happened:

Exodus

The bees boiled out of the cone for a good fifteen minutes and made their way in to the trap hive. There was a bit of fighting at the entrance but not as much as I would have expected. Did we just witness the last of the hive leaving or was it something else? Whatever it was, it was very cool :-D
Paul
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 11:50:05 pm by prestonpaul »

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2012, 08:58:55 pm »
Link says private, keep out, no trespassing, violators will be shot......  :jerry: :idunno: :lau:

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Birdswood

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2012, 10:35:37 pm »
That's right...and lynched from the nearest tree and tarred and feathered. :tumbleweed: :whip: :tumbleweed:

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2012, 11:50:34 pm »
fixed :roll:
it was very cool, the bees flew out of the cone, landed at the base of the cone and marched around it anti clockwise until they hit the landing board of the trap hive, then the marched straight in!

Exodus

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 12:04:52 am »
This is very exciting, Can't wait for the rest of the story  :)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 08:20:12 am »
It looks like the queen came out. I would give it a day and if all is quiet, remove the cone and let them clean the tree out.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 08:19:41 pm »
great to hear this looks to be going well

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2012, 03:24:44 am »
Went out for a quick peek last night, still plenty of bees in the hive :'( the cone stays on for a bit longer yet I guess.

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2012, 05:23:26 am »
Finally finished this trap out today, what a marathon effort it was!
The bees found their way back in to the hive twice which set things back no end but today when I went out to check up on them the tree hollow was empty :-D what a relief.
 I am treating this trap out as a learning experience. When I applied the cone I was sure I had a good seal but due to the stringy nature of the bark the bees found other ways through.
What I would do next time:
Strip as much bark as possible away from the edges of the board that holds the cone.
Use more steel wool to fill larger gaps instead of just pumping on more silicone.
What I wouldn't do:
Take on a trap out in autumn  :-P
Give the customer a time frame. I told them 8 to 10 weeks but this didn't take in to account the limited flying days due to the weather or the sneaky bees finding thier way in behind the cone.
What did I learn?
Bees will do what bees do and there is no sure way of making them do any different :roll:
Tell the customer it usually takes 8 to 10 weeks but can take up to 6 months.
Don't take on trap outs just before winter.
Paul.