Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Transfering brood comb to Warre hive from cutout...  (Read 4635 times)

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
Transfering brood comb to Warre hive from cutout...
« on: February 20, 2012, 04:51:04 pm »
I built a Robo-style Bee Vac for my new Warre hive.  As I anticipate doing several cutouts this season, I'm am considering how to transfer the brood comb to the Warre top bars.  Building a frame seems to be the only solution that I've found, are there any others?  Thanks!

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
Re: Transfering brood comb to Warre hive from cutout...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 07:39:10 pm »

I tried frames, and wouldn't recommend it.  I also just rubber banded combs to the bars.  Worked fine.  After five days, the bees had attached the combs and the cutout is still doing well.

Good luck.
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab218/Sunchaser01/DSCN0144.jpg
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab218/Sunchaser01/DSCN0034.jpg
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab218/Sunchaser01/DSCN0247.jpg
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab218/Sunchaser01/DSCN0708.jpg

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 12:53:07 am »
Thanks 'dog, nice pictures.

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 07:35:33 am »
One of the sites www.LearningBeekeeping.com I've visited in the last year they recommended using hair clips to hold the combs to the bars. Once the bee's attached the comb cut the hair clips out.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 10:19:46 am »
I would suggest building a cage similar to what Warre suggests for extracting.  If you use 1/2" or larger hardware cloth, the bees will be able to pass through it with ease.  The hardest part of cut-outs is salvaging the brood.  A lot of ideas seem great on paper until you try them (ie. hair clips).  The comb is heavy and usually very soft.  It requires a lot of surface area to support it.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 12:18:16 am »
Great idea Robo.  I have some of that hardware cloth.  Love that bee vac too.  Thanks!

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 02:06:24 pm »
I build both Langstroth and TB hives and i prefer the TB for my personal use.  I build the TB frames so they will fit in a Langstoth hive.  That way I have a little interchangability.
When I do a cut out, I build special frames for the TB boxes.  These are half width frames (3/4") and they have 2 sides and bottom bar  (3/8")  that fit the TB profile.  I sting stainless steel wire horizontally across each frame about 1 1/2 to 2" apart.
When I pull the comb out of the feral hive, I lay it on a frame and trim (cut) it to fit.  Then I lay the other half frame over the comb and tie the two frame together with a plastic wire tie.  Then just drop in the TB box and pour in the bees.  I try to keep the same position and sequence of comb.  The left over cut off comb can be put in another frame and the bees will connect it together and use it as they please.  Or you can use it in a swarm bait box.
I speak with limited experience and only for SW Florida.
My opinions are not necessarily facts.
Regards
Joe

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 07:49:40 pm »
Very slick Joe. Sounds fast and easy to do as well.

anything