Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Clover recommendation  (Read 1478 times)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Clover recommendation
« on: July 28, 2008, 08:16:50 pm »
The tree farm where I have some of my hives located is willing to plant clover as a ground cover between the rows of trees. He wants me to recommend a clover type that is best for my bees and honey production. What variety is best in the hot and often dry south? When does it bloom?

Thanks in advance, Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
Re: Clover recommendation
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 08:32:52 pm »
i assume that he wants to plant clover that stays low to the ground. dutch white does that and if you mow it it reblooms. otherwise sweet clover would be most enjoyed by your bees.

Offline bmacior

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 09:32:29 pm »
Sweet clover is considered an invasive weed in some places, so check with your extension office before planting it.  It also grows quite tall which the farmer may not want to deal with.  I also recomend going with dutch clover.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 08:11:45 pm »
Walter T. Kelley sells a mixture of white and yellow sweet clover.  That's a good start.  Add some white dutch, some crimson, some birdsfoot trefoil, some alfalfa...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything