Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What Was I Thinking!?! (learning experience)  (Read 2377 times)

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
What Was I Thinking!?! (learning experience)
« on: February 07, 2009, 02:51:05 pm »
After pricing out hive kits and such, I decided with my woodworking abilities I could easily build my own hives. Off to Menards, Number One Son in tow and we get back home with a pile of pine. Boxes, piece of cake. Plan everything out and off we go. Everything's slick as can be and I saved half of my cost on the supers. Here's a pic of Ben tacking the corners.

Started on Frames today. Bought select pine boards and we spent about two hours dinking around to cut out around 40 top bars for Dadant style frames. Came in for lunch and thought I'd check on the price of frames just to make myself feel better about how much I am saving by making them myself. Oops. A case of 50 frames would cost me about $2 LESS than the raw materials I need for making 50 frames. Not to mention the intensive labor to one-off these buggers. Good thing I only bought enough wood to make the first 20 frames!

Live and learn, I guess...

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: What Was I Thinking!?! (learning experience)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 03:06:23 pm »
cost of spending time with son......priceless   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 03:14:20 pm »
  I pay 0.68 for frames for betterbee hope you have a good time cuting frames

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 03:16:03 pm »
I used to make my own woodenware as well but it isnt really worth it.  If you like woodworking and you have the time then go for it but you wont save much if anything. 
Sola Scripture - Sola Fide - Sola Gracia - Solus Christus - Soli Deo Gloria

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 04:20:37 pm »
cost of spending time with son......priceless   :-D

+1 that!!! That's the primary point. A great morning spent learning to respect the table saw and some great bonding. He's 13 and still can't get enough time with his dad, I'm going to ride that train as long as possible!

BTW, just ordered a case of frames... We've got 40 top bars already made so if we decide to try a TBH, we're partway there.  :-D :-D :-D

Offline adgjoan

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 05:35:07 pm »
While you are at it you may as well make a jig for putting the frames together. 

Cute boy you have there.  Our son never out grew spending time with his Dad.  He is 30. 

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 12:53:08 pm »
I build almost all my own woodenwares. I collect scrap wood everywhere I can, so equipment doesn't cost me anything but nails.  :-D

anything