Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: cleaning up a dead hive with honey  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Paul Andersen

• New Bee
cleaning up a dead hive with honey
« on: March 07, 2008, 04:22:34 pm »
I have two hives.
The first one came through the winter fine so far and is strong.
They still have honey left over yet and some pollen.
I think this will be a good strong hive for me this year.

The second one is down to just a few bees and by this weekend it is probably going to be none. It may have been Nosema or maybe the queen died.
However this hive still has honey and pollen in it and I am wondering what I should do with any frames that have have the honey and/or pollen in them. I would like to keep any stores to use as a food source for my bees that survived or possibly drop a swarm in it.

Questions-

If it was nosema can that be passed on to new bees if I put them in that hive and they eat the honey?

How long do I have before wax moth moves in? We are still getting cold nights (upper 30's) and a lot of cold days (mid 40's) here in Portland Oregon.

How should I store these frames until I need them for new bees or a swarm?
or should I let the strong hive just rob the honey out of them?

Any issues if I drop an early swarm in this hive?

Thanks!!
Paul
Paul

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: cleaning up a dead hive with honey
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 10:31:18 pm »
>If it was nosema can that be passed on to new bees if I put them in that hive and they eat the honey?

Yes.  If it was, then it can.  There are spores in the feces.  I'd clean it up with clorox or vinegar if you're in doubt.

>How long do I have before wax moth moves in? We are still getting cold nights (upper 30's) and a lot of cold days (mid 40's) here in Portland Oregon.

It depends on how long and cold your winter was.  Here after a normal winter I usually don't have wax moths in any numbers until about June.  But the last couple of mild winters they were bad in May.

>How should I store these frames until I need them for new bees or a swarm?

The freezer would be the most sure thing.  If not, then keep them closed up so the moths and mice can't get in and they should keep until you can distribute them to other hives.

>or should I let the strong hive just rob the honey out of them?

Better to put them on the strong hives than let them rob them.

Any issues if I drop an early swarm in this hive?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Paul Andersen

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 07:08:30 pm »
Thanks for the comments!

I will probably have them tested for Nosema.

If you use the vinegar treatment do you dip or spray and is full strength?

Also on the Wax moth we have had a colder than normal winter, so I expect I have a month to deal with this.
Paul

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 09:06:31 pm »
>If you use the vinegar treatment do you dip or spray and is full strength?

I've never done it, but I suppose I'd do full strength.  Either spray or dip would probably work.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin