Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question about ApiLife VAR  (Read 7404 times)

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
Question about ApiLife VAR
« on: August 11, 2009, 08:44:10 pm »
I installed api life var last night in my hives according to the directions.  I use screened bottoms (for the past 2 years) and I have never had much bearding if any.  Today I have lots of bearding going on.  Is this due to the closing of the bottoms or the miticide?  Does the miticide still work if the bees are outside the hive? 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 08:55:32 pm by WhipCityBeeMan »
Sola Scripture - Sola Fide - Sola Gracia - Solus Christus - Soli Deo Gloria

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Question about ApiLife VAR
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 10:27:34 pm »
the mite treatment will sometimes drive them out for a bit.  it's pretty strong when you first put it in.  they should be ok in a couple of days.  if it's hot, the combination of closing them up and the treatment is probably what's going on.

it will work.  they will not stay out forever...unless they leave altogether.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline irekkin

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 11:19:50 pm »
i was going to ask for some opinions on thymol but you beat me to it. i ordered the apiguard from dadant and i'm hoping it's at least close to as good as their claims. also read that it shouldn't be used if temps are high (90+deg) and that using a small dose to start with helps the bees get used to it. i've also decided to give the mega-bee a try. good luck.
when you're dumb, ya gotta be tough.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 11:22:39 pm »
it does work.  as mite treatments go, it's one of the least damaging to the hive.  it's what i use when i need to use something, but i am going into the 4th year treatment free (i hope).  we'll see what loss spring brings.  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 11:55:27 pm »
it does work.  as mite treatments go, it's one of the least damaging to the hive.  it's what i use when i need to use something, but i am going into the 4th year treatment free (i hope).  we'll see what loss spring brings.  :-)

Kathy

Is this because you have the mites under control or you will let the weak ones die and the strong survive?? Just asking because this is the first year I haven't done any mite treatments. Usually I do the powdered sugar dusting, but never found the mite count to be high enough to bother, and now I just feel like leaving them alone and see what happens.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 12:03:46 am »
i have tried to expand what appeared to be the stronger genetics from the swarms and cutouts i have done.  i requeened from those hives, and combined the weak hives with the stronger, feral hives.

it seems to have worked so far.  we shall see  :-)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 12:14:50 am »
Very good. Yes I plan on making splits this Spring from the survivor hives. I took a very good course from a beekeeper names Serge Labesque here in California.  He says the bees need to be able to live with the mites,  pathogens etc.  He believes in letting the weak ones die off and making queens from the strong ones that survive.  I know many beeks on this forum are doing the same thing.

I have to admit that I am a little nervous about not doing the powdered sugar dustings, but I want to see how the hives do without it.
Also my hives have small mite counts, not really great numbers.

anything