Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gone Bone Empty  (Read 3017 times)

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
Gone Bone Empty
« on: November 25, 2009, 08:48:13 am »
Went out to check my hives yesterday, found 4 hives totally empty. odd thing it is, there was bees flying last week when it was so nice and warm up here, now these hives are empty, two are fine, they had been sugared and ready for winter. There were a few bees in there maybe 60 or so a few clung to the frames, but other wise gone, the ones left were dead, and the floor of the hive barely had bees on it. I swear looks like they obscondated?? I need to check my out yard now, lol out of fear. Does this sound like CCD or just bad luck!
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline lmehaffey

• House Bee
Re: Gone Bone Empty
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 08:52:43 am »
Any chance they were robbed out? That's what seems to have happened to mine.
It is what it is.......except when it isn't.

Offline skflyfish

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 10:54:40 am »
Sorry to hear that Al!!

I for sure don't have any advice, but I would like to know if they were the combines, and if they were the Italians or NWC hives.

Jay

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 04:52:51 pm »
Italians, and no the combines are fine, these were way strong to be robbed, IDK?? haven't checked the Carnies yet. this wekkend

Offline GJP

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 08:07:01 pm »
I had the same thing happen to one of my hives.  Super strong and a few weeks later totally gone!  I was concerned it was too strong and eating itself out of house and home and was about to set up for some candy boards and then they were gone (late October).  The other hive is just fine!  Asked a bunch of fellow beeks and no one really seemed to think it was CCD.  I'm hoping the other one makes it to sping.  I'm in sounth central Wisconsin and a second year beek.

Greg

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 09:30:13 pm »
What did they weigh when you checked them last?  How long ago was that?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 01:55:19 pm »
This is exactly what happened to me this year.  In retrospect, my issue was one of underfeeding.  We had no nectar in August and September was not much better.  I simply assumed the hive was strong because of the activity, but I never checked to see the status of their stores. Another lesson learned.
Brian

Offline skflyfish

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 01:42:19 pm »
Maybe those Georgia bees decided to migrate back home for the winter.  :-D

But seriously, if you need a hand lifting hives to check their weight, let me know. I'd be glad to help.

Jay

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 07:10:42 pm »
Maybe those Georgia bees decided to migrate back home for the winter.  :-D

But seriously, if you need a hand lifting hives to check their weight, let me know. I'd be glad to help.

Jay

Well I wish I could go south. Bet its easier to raise bees there also. LOL
Thanks for the offer, probly too late now but I will take you up on it next fall.

Offline TimLa

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 09:06:28 pm »
Checked mine today, same exact thing.  Italians, sugared them up a month ago, today there was about 2# of sugar, some honey and nectar in the bottom medium.  Maybe 30 bees left, clinging to the middle, a few face down in the comb.  I wonder if I just didn't feed them enough, early enough in the fall.

Which begs a question:

During the bloom, various other bees (wild, many fuzzy black and yellow, etc) but very few of mine were working the flowers (rhodies, fruit trees, yard plants, etc).  Mine were, however, building comb and bringing in pollen (and I presume nectar) at the time.  Were they too picky?  Too much competition?

I'll give it another go in the spring, and just plan on feeding as much as they'll take starting in September.  I'm letting the rain wash off the sugar and broken honeycomb, then freeze the frames for a head start come April.

-T
Some days you just want to line them all up and start asking questions.

anything