Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Talk about dramatic weather change in Victoria - Pack Down implications  (Read 6123 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
I hope the weather improved here in Vic or else preparations for all beekeepers in Vic will be hampered - I've got close to 50 hives waiting to be tucked in for the winter!

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
It's not looking much good until early next week. Fortunately I tucked in my handful of hives last week.

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
Thankfully I've only got one to go. A sneaky queen got through the excluder and filled the super with brood. I've moved her back down & am waiting for the brood to hatch before packing down. Now all. Need is a couple of good days in a few weeks  :-D
Paul.

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
What are you guys wintering on, one or two boxes?

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
As this is our first year & I know we have long wet cold winters but I don't know what forage is available, I am going to play it safe and winter in 2 boxes and see what they have left come spring.
Paul.

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
Same here; first winter and I've reduced them to two boxes.

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
yeah finished packing down about two weeks ago.

Packed into one deep and an empty Manley (they will fill that over winter)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
I'm going OS for two weeks come the beginning of May and I don't think the weather is going to be kind to let me do my pack down... I think i'll have to do it when i get back and mine will consist of putting hive mats on, removing the excluder and putting some pollen patties on top of the mat just in case... I won't be able to do a full inspection. I've got mine in two high so i can tell what there stores are like just by lifting up the hive - pollen i wont be able to ascertain hence why i'll give them some patties - I'll take them through winter two high. What are others doing for their packdown?

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
G'day folks,

It's even cooled down here with a bit of rain, and I had to wear long sleeves last night!  The bees are mainly staying home and I hope the couple of dead drones I saw at the entrances wasn't a drone kill, because it's only week one after I lost the queen and am hoping they will requeen.  Winter here is usually foraging weather so we don't do much that is different.

Do you Southeners generally feed before Winter like the americans, and weigh hives and that sort of thing?  For how long are they generally hive-bound?

Oz, you are not nervous about pollen patties due to attracting SHB, or maybe you don't have them yet?  Or are SHB completely absent in cold weather?  Where are you going for your trip and will you get to see any exotic beekeeping practices while you are there?

Lone

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
I only have one hive I am feeding as it is a bit light on. It is a swarm that I picked up late last year that hasn't done much. It is a prolific burr comb builder though so may get re-queened come spring. The others have just had a brief inspection to check on stores and any supers and queen excluders removed. I suspect there wil still be flying days and forage through winter however I am not sure how many/much so I'm playing it safe and wintering in 2 boxes. If they are still in good shape with plenty of stores left come spring I'll split them all and winter in singles the following year.
Paul.

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
Re: Talk about dramatic weather change in Victoria - Pack Down implications
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 02:47:19 am »
g'day Lone

if there are flying then i just leave them alone, no feeding no weighing.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 07:34:23 am »
What sort of temperatures are you getting in Vic?

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 07:19:38 pm »
The same sort you get I expect, degrees celsius. :-D

Supposed to be a balmy top of 16 in Melbourne today. 19-21 for the rest of the week.

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 11:32:28 am »
My average stats for the past 5yrs

January

February

March

April

May

June