Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What is your favorite "bee suit"  (Read 3091 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
What is your favorite "bee suit"
« on: April 22, 2007, 09:52:58 pm »
There are so many to choose from...curious to know what the general consensus is here re: most reliable anti-sting suit...

Thx

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Re: What is your favorite "bee suit"
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 10:32:44 pm »
Michael Bush is a great proponent of the Golden Bee Suit.  I don't know if he has a link for it on his site, but if you search here, there have been previous posts about it.  It's expensive and comes from Mississippi and is really worth it, apparently (as a Mississippi girl, I think lots of good things come from Mississippi).

Here's the post from Michael with the address in Mississippi:
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=7201.0

And here are pictures on a post on Beesource of someone in the beesuit: (see pictures in post by "curtis")

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205803&highlight=golden+bee+suit

I ordered the bee suit from Dadant that has the zip on helmet/veil.  At first I was bothered by the fact that it was made for someone much taller (I'm 5 2") and much rounder than I.  Now I'm thrilled with it.  I've never been stung through the suit, mostly because there is space between the suit and my skin.  So my children tease me as I wander around inside the suit, but I'm thrilled with the sting record.  I've only been stung when uncovered and unsuited.

I also ordered an extra veil, I think from BetterBee, once when I got a sale brochure.  I've been glad to have it for visitors to feel safe to see the hives.

Linda T well-suited in Atlanta

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 10:41:31 am »
Oh Linda I hear you I am 5'1"...I will scope out the suits and hopefully find the right one for me...

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 01:09:29 am »
At 5'1" you might want to go for a large child or teen size of suit. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 02:12:33 am »
ooohh right I will check those sizes out!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 07:46:43 am »
The ultra breeze by honeymoon apiaries looks very promising, I ordered one from bill the magnetman. It looks like he has improved the golden bee suit which I have one of. My golden bee suit is my best current suit now. Bill's design is based off the golden bee, but he has improved the veil. I sure hope so. The golden bee veil is ok, but you better wear a hat to keep it off of your face or you will get stung in the face and forehead.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 12:42:20 am »
I'm going to try the Ultra Breeze jacket.  I have one on order.  But I can't say what I think of it, since I haven't had one yet.

The Golden Bee Products suit changed my life.  Beekeeping went from intolerable heat where I had to take constant water and "cooling off" breaks to being able to put in some hours of beekeeping without overheating.  It's worth every penny, in fact I'd pay twice what I paid for it if I had to.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 10:09:08 am »

this is the coolest suit out there ;)

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 10:26:09 am »
TwT:

:-D :shock: :-D :shock:

Very good.

Sincerley,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 10:40:48 am »
AHHHHHH hahahahahahahahahaha...that is SO derned funny!!!  hahahahahaha...whoulda thunk a birthday suit as a favorite bee suit...hahahahahahahaha

Offline heaflaw

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 01:12:42 am »

I,ve been a beekeeper for about 10 years.  The only suits I've worn have been Tyvek suits.  They're lightweight, very effective and very inexpensive ($10.00 thru Brushy Mtn.).  The drawbacks are that they can be hot and they tear easily (I keep a roll of duct tape handy for emergency repairs when I go into my hives).  I go thru about 2 suits a season.  Don't wear them near a blackberry patch and buy 2 sizes larger.  If you buy directly from a manufacturer they can be purchased with feet in them, so you can wear shoes over them and never have a problem with bees crawling up inside your pants legs. You can afford to own several suits for family and friends to wear if you want to show them what goes on inside a bee hive.