Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2nd check.  (Read 1845 times)

Offline RangerBrad

• House Bee
2nd check.
« on: June 14, 2009, 01:15:59 pm »
Well, on day 12 of new packages of Russians on HSC.  They are on their 3rd gal of syrup apiece and 3 quart's of water. One hives is weak and one strong believed to be from drifting at time of installation. I did not find the queen in either hive however I did find uncapped larva in the weak hive. Both hives have uncapped honey and pollen and are extremely docile. not a sting yet while checking the hives and they were even landing on my ungloved hands as I worked the frames. I did find it unusual that they were quite content to let me open their hive and dig through it but when I gave some smoke they weren't everywhere not just down in the hive but, flying all around me. I did not find any propilis but a little burr comb between top of frames and inner cover. I will wait another week or 2 for the next check. I am not to worried as this is my first hives and I'm trying to spend as little time inside them as I can and am probably missing something i.e. queens and eggs in strong hive. the queen in the strong hive may also not be laying yet from what I understand about HSC and have to say i was pleasantly surprised to see larva in the weak hive. Both hives are very active with bees coming and going constantly and they seem to be happy with their lot in life. The only down fall is they are not pollinating my garden and flowers but are coming back and forth between their hives and the forest behind them but, I understand a bee goes where he wants. Brad
If the only dog you can here in the hunt is yours, your probaly missing the best part of the chase.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: 2nd check.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 02:37:57 am »
I've known of packaged bees where the queen didn't start laying for nearly 4 weeks after install, meaning both hives might still be queenright.  I'd give the "broodless" hive another 7-10 days before becoming concerned.  If the larger hive is the one with the brood I'd suggest switching hive locations so the foragers return to the weeker hive and giving it a boost.  If that is the case, the lack of foragers returning might be the reason the other hives hasn't started brood production yet.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 02:44:14 am »
And trust me....the pro-poll-us will come. :-D

Offline RangerBrad

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 09:15:14 am »
No Brian, it is the weaker hive that I seen the brood in and it appeared to be the c-shaped mature larva type brood (how old would these be?). Both hives seem to be active enough for now and I may of missed seeing brood in the stronger hive as this was only my 2nd check of a hive ever and I was real concerned about not disturbing them longer than absolutely necessary. Yesterday evening the weak hive seemed to be extremely active with bees coming and going. I felt that maybe some of the house bees were coming of age to take up foraging duties. I'll check and replace syrup today. I'm sure all will work out well. Thank's, Brad
If the only dog you can here in the hunt is yours, your probaly missing the best part of the chase.

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 11:32:30 am »
I am sorry to be dim, but what is "HSC"?  Glad to hear your hives are, apparently, doing well.  Good luck.
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 11:55:06 am »
I am sorry to be dim, but what is "HSC"?  Glad to hear your hives are, apparently, doing well.  Good luck.

Honey Super Cell.  It is a plastic model of a fully drawn deep frame.  Some love it, some do not.  I am in the latter category. 
Brian

anything