Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Vac Hoses?  (Read 5612 times)

Offline Mike Tuggle

• New Bee
Bee Vac Hoses?
« on: June 24, 2011, 12:10:31 am »
The topic of "hoses" for bee-vacs has come up numerous times in various threads... in passing.  I wonder if there is a concensus on what kind of hose 1) works best and 2) provides the best viability with the least mortality.

I use a 1 1/2" clear vinyl hose.  It's a bit heavy but in my last vacuum job, I don't believe I have more than a couple dozen dead bees out of a six pound capture.

I have a 15' section of regular ShopVac hose but it's ridged and I have read that it beats the @#$% out of the bees going down the tube with resulting injury.  Also, being black, you can't see if you have a traffic jam like I can with the clear tube.   That being the case, I haven't used it.

I have read the JP and Schwee are now using some kind of pool tube but I'm not sure which of several kinds that might be.

Pile on... what's your experience out there?

Thanks!

Mike

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
Re: Bee Vac Hoses?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 12:48:18 am »
I'm still using the "issue" 2.5 shop vac hoses and am looking for better. One that I cannot recommend is the shop vac brand stretchable hose. I ordered it online but it is not a good option.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 01:12:04 am »
I run the 2 1/2" shop vac hose as well, seems like the bigger ID gives less tumble to me. What really makes the difference is using very little suction, you want just enough to keep them from flying out of the hose, if you a pulling them out of the air from 5 feet away.....well you know what I mean. Also when pulling bees off of open stores be careful not to pull out wet honey, it will coat the inside of the hose and all the bees, not a pretty site.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 01:45:20 am »
mike ,i use a  pool vacuum hose.it comes in different lenths.its smooth on the inside and very flexible.it works great.you can get it at any pool supply company.        schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 09:11:36 am »
I have good luck with 2 1/2" smooth interior woodworkers dust collection hose attached to my robo bee vac. Took time to hand file down all the raised edges on all the connection fittings. I make sure to keep the hose as straight as possible and I try very hard not to get honey on the bees. I seldom see more than 10 - 20 dead bees after each job. Last Saturdays job which was an inside removal, where I used the vacuum from the get go, I didn't see but maybe 5 dead bees total. You can buy the hose at Woodcraft Supply.

Don 

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 05:04:32 pm »
I'm using the 2 1/2" shop vac hoses. Very little dead bees. I do want to try something new though, especially if there's a semi-clear option to see if
the bees are all jammed up especially when covered with honey!

Those pool hoses, I see some are ribbed inside as well. So check before you buy.

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 10:51:26 pm »
I am still using a 1.25" shopvac hose that came with my small shopvac. :( I need to get a smooth hose. This small ribbed one makes a god awful shreaking noise! Not to mention it beats up the bees.

Offline Bee Brothers Apiary

• New Bee
    • EveryThing Honey Bee, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 11:45:38 am »
30' - 1 1/2" clear vinyl hose. Smooth on the inside, good visiblity so you dont get clogged up, can see pieces of trash getting caught, easy to wash out with hot water and long enough to keep vac on ground and reach a tall gable soffit, etc. a bit heavy but not to bad. A 12 footer also.

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 02:01:31 pm »
I have a hose from a old hair dryer (garage sales are your friend). It's ribbed but not rough on the inside (if you can catch what I.m getting at), really flexible, and came with a detachable nozzle end which is nice. I have a bucket vac, and take the vac to the bees, so the four foot length is plenty.  It also is semitransparent, although I haven't had any clogs to deal with yet.  Gardening Fireman - a "shrieking" noise? How strong is your vac!?  (Seriously, I know noise can occur even at low velocity).

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 04:32:11 pm »
greenbtree,
It is only a small shopvac, like 2.5hp. If I put some duct tape on the end or REALLY cut down on the suction, it stops making the noise. Also, when actually vaccing the bees the noise stops. When the vac is running and I am not vaccing, that's when the noise is made. I think it is a combination of narrow diameter hose and the ribs.

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 10:10:28 pm »
The hose that is used to circulate water through a pool filter works great and it is semi smooth on the inside and comes  in 4 foot lengths and slides together to make a longer hose.  It works great but is not 2 1/2 inches, more like an 1 3/4 inches and works great if you can adjust the suction on your vac.
Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 08:20:19 am »
Why doesn't someone post a picture and link of Pool vac line  :-D

have a
 Safe Holiday

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 12:32:47 am »
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline JoshMcCallum

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 04:54:21 pm »
I am working on building a Bee Vac for myself and was wondering on how do you attach your non standard hoses to the capture box? I have seen several adapters for standard shop vac hoses but a lot of them go inside the hose and that seems like a really brutal edge for bees to run into as they are come into the box. I was thinking about just getting a piece of plastic pipe that the ID is the same as the OD of my hose and gluing that in place but if anyone else has a suggestion I would love to hear it.

Thanks,

- Josh

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 05:04:30 pm »
The 2 1/2" woodworkers dust collection hose I like that I buy from "Wood Crafters Supply" have all kinds of fiittings available.

But your right you need to hand file the fittings down to remove any bumbs or protrusions.

Don

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 03:03:37 pm »
...anyone else has a suggestion I would love to hear it.

Don't forget the Duct tape.

Offline Judy in in

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 12:49:45 pm »
For the DOT job I just finished, I used 3 2 1/2" hoses, and a 2 1/2 smooth clear hose that I normally use with a square 300 gallon container for water. I got that hose at a place that specializes in hydraulic hoses and such. The clear hose is smooth on the inside, but not very flexible, so I put it near the vac. So I have a mixture.

I didn't use the connectors between hoses. I just used duct tape.

anything