Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: website or blog?  (Read 3025 times)

Offline ayyon2157

• House Bee
website or blog?
« on: December 08, 2006, 01:44:57 am »
     I have recently started a not-for -profit research corporation and think I should have a website or blog.  I would wish to have some pictures, archives, and forum discussion.  Some folks' blogs seem to have about all of the features of a website, and I don't know the difference except that one is cheaper than the other.  Could anyone explain the difference?

I really don't think anyone is likely to send me money, but as one of the purposes of the corporation is "advocacy" of liquid air power, I probably should have an exchange of ideas and explanations of principles involved.

thanks

ayyon2157
William H. Michaels

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: website or blog?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 09:30:25 am »
I assume you mean a CMS (content management system) when you say website.  Or do you mean having your own domain verses a blog at blogspot?

Which ever it is,  I would suggest getting your own domain and hosting, that way you control the content and always have acess to your stuff.  I pay less than $60 a year for my hosting which provides me 1GB storage, 20 GB bandwidth,email accounts, mysql DB, and a bunch of other stuff that allows me do run my own free copies of CMS, forums, blogs, ....... WITHOUT ADS...

When you own it yourself, you don't have to worry about corporate buyouts or policy changes that put all your previous hard work in creating content in jeopardy.  If your hosting changes policies/cost, or goes belly-up,  you just take your stuff to another hosting firm.  The possiblilities are pretty much unlimited with all the free software packages out there.  We are currently working on adding member blogs to this site as we continue to expand the member experience and value.  :shock: Oops I just let the cat out of the bag! Stay tuned.

It's also nice to have your own email.  Something like joe@researchcorp.com is much nicer that joe2443@hotmail.com

This help?
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 12:30:59 pm »
Rob:

You cat releaser you  :-P

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline ayyon2157

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 11:55:19 pm »
Thanks Robo.

Good information here.  Will wait until I can find out what you folks are offering.

william h
William H. Michaels