Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Thought it was fighting?  (Read 1933 times)

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
Thought it was fighting?
« on: September 21, 2014, 07:17:57 pm »
I noticed a few times what looked like fighting. 3 or 4 bees surrounding 1 and jerking away at it. Looked like they were tugging on legs, wings. The one getting what I thought was being attacked just stood still. After it was over the bee just walks away, no harm seemed to happen. I see this outside the hive by the entrance.

What is this behavior? Grooming?

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
Re: Thought it was fighting?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 08:43:18 pm »
It's called. Intruder alert! Opps, sorry sis, hope we didn't rough you up too bad. They do it all the time, especially this time of the year.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 10:06:55 pm »
Rookie,
I see 1 on1 bees in front of my hives, all the time. On bee stands there and the other one grooms it checking it over. Occasionally I see 2 or 3 on 1.
Did the bee under attack land there or did it come out of the hive.
Hygienic bees will not only clean each other, they will also remove a bee that is sick. My bees use my pool as their trash dump. I have watched them carry bees off the front of the hive and dump them in the pool. The bees they dump had DWV.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 10:10:14 am »
I have watched what looks to me like one dressing down one. face to face then all around a couple a times then it is over. one usually walks away the other sometimes flies off

Offline Candiebears

• House Bee
    • Candiebees
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 05:40:08 pm »
I did also read bees 'dance' to tell others where to fly. (I'm new) Don't know if that's it.. but just figured I'd throw it out there.
Bee patient with me... I just started this March of 2015..

You can follow my excursions on... www.candiebees.com

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 05:50:57 pm »
The dancing happens internally on the frames to draw a crowd and give directions.  You will see it Candie.  As far as robbing, a week ago there was a huge gaggle of bees in front of one of my too late splits and I rushed over fearing the worst.  What it was, was a huge orientation flight taking place.  A mass of bees out for their first flight and I just caught it.  Now if I can get them fed up enough to support all those mouths! 

Grooming bees are a really good thing.  My queen supplier breeds from hives where 80% of the vorroa on the stickie boards are missing legs or have chunks gone out of their carapace. 

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 02:43:57 pm »
The dancing happens internally on the frames to draw a crowd and give directions.  You will see it Candie.  As far as robbing, a week ago there was a huge gaggle of bees in front of one of my too late splits and I rushed over fearing the worst.  What it was, was a huge orientation flight taking place.  A mass of bees out for their first flight and I just caught it.  Now if I can get them fed up enough to support all those mouths! 

Grooming bees are a really good thing.  My queen supplier breeds from hives where 80% of the vorroa on the stickie boards are missing legs or have chunks gone out of their carapace. 

Who is your breeder if you dont mind me asking Vance? G :chop:
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 03:32:56 pm »
Bill Carpenter in Freezeproof Florida.  If you need more to find him, I will dig out a phone number. 

Who is your breeder if you dont mind me asking Vance? G :chop: