Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My Dark Queen from the Cut out, Worker Layer, Swarm cell?  (Read 10608 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: My Dark Queen from the Cut out, Worker Layer, Swarm cell?
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 01:43:59 am »
Just make starter strips out of what you got. In the wild the top would be storage for honey, then pollen then you start getting into the brood nest where the center is the smallest cells working out to the edges where you find your drones and the possibly more pollen then honey. You really don't have to throw out all that foundation.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2008, 02:16:31 am »
Oh I was not going to toss it. i would use it in the other hives for the packages. And use small cell for the other gals that are 4.8mm. Dadant has 4.9 for 11.95 for 10. I will pick some up if they have any at the fresno store.

Angi

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2008, 07:25:59 am »
>TO bad I can not buy it already in frames.

You can buy Mann Lake PF100s (deep) or PF120s (mediums, sorry it did say "deep" here and I am correcting that PF120's are mediums).  They are all one piece plastic 4.95mm.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 11:22:38 am by Michael Bush »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2008, 03:04:47 am »
Hmmm To bad they are in med hive bodys. With my back I could not do deeps. Only meds.

Angi

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2008, 10:47:41 pm »
>Hmmm To bad they are in med hive bodys. With my back I could not do deeps. Only meds.

I don't follow you.  Too bad the ARE in med or too bad the aren't?

Small cell wax is available in deep or medium, whichever you like.  Mann Lake has PF120's that fit mediums and PF100's that fit deeps.  Both are 4.95mm.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2008, 02:01:02 am »
I went by what you had wrote you said the pf 100 (deep) and pf120 (DEEP) that is what I had went by. But then again those bees are on wax with having there old comb in there that as that brood hatches I am removing.  And replacing with wired waxed foundation.  I will be gone sunday and be back monday as I get to go and pick up my 2 4lb packages. Hopefully I will be home in time on Monday to install them and the weather is nice. They were mentioning the chance of rain.

Angi

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2008, 01:35:14 am »
well had to put more syrup on the girls today and I checked that frame with superceder cell on it. And it has 2 others on it now. All are empty from what I can tell they are dry at the bottom.  I would love to keep these genetics of this so would it work that when they do raise one and those cells become ripe can I place them in the jars or something like that to be able to keep them to install into other hives. poor ole queen that is in there looks raggity. Although they now have one complete frame of foundation drawn out and capped with brood. and several others on there way. I am not sure what they want to super cede her as her brood pattern is very nice and looks ok to me. Although she does look old. She fell off the frame today and on my shirt i quickly bent over the hive and placed her back in there. She is not very nimble that ole queen but they have built up very nicely. And boy there numbers are high already.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2008, 02:27:18 am »
well had to put more syrup on the girls today and I checked that frame with superceder cell on it. And it has 2 others on it now. All are empty from what I can tell they are dry at the bottom.  I would love to keep these genetics of this so would it work that when they do raise one and those cells become ripe can I place them in the jars or something like that to be able to keep them to install into other hives. poor ole queen that is in there looks raggity. Although they now have one complete frame of foundation drawn out and capped with brood. and several others on there way. I am not sure what they want to super cede her as her brood pattern is very nice and looks ok to me. Although she does look old. She fell off the frame today and on my shirt i quickly bent over the hive and placed her back in there. She is not very nimble that ole queen but they have built up very nicely. And boy there numbers are high already.

According to Don, aka fatbeeman, ripe queens will last about 24hrs without other bees covering them. I would wait and make sure you have a quality queen before you remove any of the queen cells. Remember, after a virgin hatches out she still has to get mated and back in the hive, then laying. Don't jump the gun. Once you know things are where they need to be, and if you have extra cells then you could look at doing some splits. my .02.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cass Cohenour

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2008, 06:51:39 am »
I would remove the queen and use her for a nuc. The bees are probably superceding due to all the stress from the cutout and change in location. Their normalcy has been severely disrupted so they feel they need to supercede the queen due to all the disruption. Start a nuc with the old queen and keep her in case you need her for an emergency or grow a new colony with her. If you split that colony and gave most of the brood to the half with the queen cell you would have plenty of time for them to build up nicely this spring and over the summer. If it was me I'd do my best to save her. Chances are she is last years queen. That colony probably swarmed a few times last year so the queen is most likely not even a year old.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2008, 11:21:52 am »
>I went by what you had wrote you said the pf 100 (deep) and pf120 (DEEP) that is what I had went by

Sorry.  I messed up.  PF120 are mediums.
-------------------

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2008, 01:49:12 am »
Ok Cool, That is what I was thinking Cass that way if the new queen they made is not up to par then the old queen can be put back in along with the brood and eggs she has in the nuc. I dont want them to kill her off even before the new queen mates and starts laying. This queen is not even missing a beat she has 2 frames of foundation that the bees already drew out full of capped brood and one with larve and several of just eggs. I have nucs 5 are deep and on is a double med I had made up from a guy on ebay then he made me a buy it now auction. I will keep a careful eye on them. The crazy thing is is they are already taking up 3 med brood boxes yes there is still several frames of foundation not drawn out but there is allot that is and full of either eggs, brood, capped brood or pollen and syrup.

Angi

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2008, 09:45:14 am »
Another option is a double screen board instead of a nuc.   That way if the new queen doesn't cut the mustard, you can dispose of her and remove the double screen board and your back to where you started.

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/queen-introduction/
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2008, 02:02:58 am »
Ya I have seen those they look cool. Back from Sacramento, Woodland and Biggs. Got my 2 4lb packages in there hives. Queen in in a real small cage with no workers and no room for a candy. He said to let them sit for 3 days and then just let her out. They are supposed to be italians but some are a very pritty Golden color almost chestnut color. And the queens are as well. Maybe an italian cross. I went by Mann lake today also. Got PF100s for the one deep I have and also got 20 pf 120s for the med for the top of those. They were out of the new style of the pf120s and all they had was from last year but I wold get a discount instead of 99c I got them for 90c each. I have white ones. Bought another varoa screen and migratory cover. And 2 top feeders. Only left with spending 230.00 lmao.

Angi

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2008, 04:02:56 pm »
Angi
It's a good thing MannLake isn't close to me! I get in enough trouble with Dels (feedstore)!!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard