Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pullman Washington, New Bee  (Read 2809 times)

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
Pullman Washington, New Bee
« on: March 22, 2008, 08:28:53 pm »
What a wonderful forum you've created. I find it both very informative and a bit humorous. As you've already guessed, I'm completely new to beekeeping and know every little about bees or beekeeping. To give you a little background, I'm a engineer by training, and grey behind the ears from teenagers. The whole idea of beekeeping seems amazing to me. By nature, I'm a avid reader.....which means I know where to find information about bees, but I have no experience with bees. I guess what I'm trying to say is I've read a little about beekeeping, but have absolutely no experience. On April 12th, I'll pick up a 3 pound package of bees and a Carnolian queen in Spokane and place them in a new hive. I have two brood boxes, 2 small supers, plus an assortment of other supplies in my basement. I have a top feeder ready for them, as well as some Brood Booster, should I need it. In some ways, I'm like the nervous future father in the waiting room at the hospital.  I've watched the package bee hiving video at least 7 or 8 times. We had snow just yesterday, so I'm a bit worried about their first few weeks in Washington State. I understand the bees are coming from California, so this may be a bit of a shock for them.

My wife gets a chuckle out me in my white bee suit. The whole endeavor should prove very entertaining for my family. It's all good natured teasing, which is to be expected in my family.

My other interests are herding dogs and sheep. Fortunately, I live in Pullman where we have a large agricultural school (WSU). WSU has a apiary group, so I should be able to get some help, if I really get in deep yogurt. There is also a vet school @ WSU. The college has an excellent library system, so I'm extremely fortunate. There are bee keeping books going back to the 1930s on the shelves.

Again, I'd like to thank all of you that created and maintain this internet forum. It's very helpful to the new bee.

Regards,
Tucker
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Pullman Washington, New Bee
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 09:11:50 pm »
Glad you found us Tucker, You will have a ball learning about bees. Get ready, you are about to become a bee person! Your scope of things will change, your observations will change, you will notice things that those that don't keep bees will not take notice. You will learn about things like nectar flow and propolis gathering, royal jelly, and those dern varroa mites! Welcome to beemaster!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 08:37:23 am »
Hey Tucker,
welcome to the Beemaster forums. We have all been down that no experience road. Every day is a new experience in this hobby. We may read all there is to read and talk till we are blue in the face,but the bees don't always read the same books or listen to what we tell them!! Keep it fun and keep learning!!

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 11:29:05 am »
Greetings Tucker,

You'll glean tons of information on this forum.  I too began with little knowledge, read tons and purused the net until I found this forum.  I have never hived a package, but am picking up 2 on April 12th as well.
I did however have the opportunity to hive a swarm!  Truly amazing.

Have fun and enjoy the never ending quest of knowledge about bees.

Cheers

Sharon in "A" town

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 11:29:49 am »
Tucker, welcome to our forums.  You have found THE place to learn and learn some more.  You talk about being nervous, yes, it is a nervous time, but you will find with the help that you get from all our forum friends here, that soon you will feel confident, you will feel like things will flow smoothly.  It is the most wholesome part of life that I can think of.  You will become held under that spell, that spell of the honeybee.  I love to talk about this spell, because that is what it is and you will become addicted.  You are fortunate that you will have your "mentors" so close by that you can also lean on for knowledge, good for you.

Anyways, welcome, you will love the time that you spend here, it will be a powerful learning tool  And best of all, have a great and wonderful day, love your life you live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 08:59:24 pm »
Welcome Tucker1.  My wife attended WAZoo, oh, so many years ago.  How life in the Palouse Country these days?

I'm having a BBQ for PNW beekeepers on the Sunday before Labor Day--consider yourself invited.  Should have a sampling of forum members from Washington, Oregon and B.C.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 10:28:38 am »
Welcome Tucker,

Looking forward to hearing some the great experiences you will have. There is a ton of good information from everyone here on the forum.

DennisB

anything