Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any donkey folks out there?  (Read 4293 times)

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
Any donkey folks out there?
« on: December 11, 2009, 05:58:34 pm »
I'm going to look at a donkey in about an hour. He's about 4 years old, gelded, short-standard (11-12 hh). Supposedly, sweet, no biting, no kicking, and let's you ride him and loves his ears scratched. For $95 I have to go and look.

I've never owned any equine, but have had plenty of goats and he would be with three that I have now (two angoras, and a pygmy). The seller has him currently with goats and he isn't aggressive to them at all. Hope it works out. He'd make me a nice Christmas gift.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Re: Any donkey folks out there?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 08:15:06 am »
Did you get him and if you did let's see some pic's :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 02:26:57 pm »
Don't have one myself but I hope you do now :)
Haven't you been laid up with a foot injury or something like that, I think I recall that you were.
So are you sitting around aquiring farm animals to keep you busy :-D
I know I would if I could.

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 12:08:19 am »
Nope. Didn't get him. He was a bit taller than I hoped. I'm going to hold out for a miniature. This one was a good animal. He was a BLM burro, but just decided against him.

As for my leg, it's pretty much healed up. Hoping to be able to start jumping with the Army (out of planes), again in February . . . after I lose some of the holiday weight. :)
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 10:02:23 pm »
Huzzah! I found a miniature jack. 3 years old and intact. He's very sweet and gentle. No biting or kicking and harness/lead broke. A steal of a deal at $100. I had to  drive 120 miles each way to get him, but it's so worth it. He's out there right now getting to know my goats.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 09:16:51 am »
Thank's for the pic I'm happy for you :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 11:50:47 am »
Thanks. He looks a little ragged in that pic, but has since been brushed out a couple times, had 10" of snow fall on him, and brushed out again. He looks a lot better now. Thankfully, he now trusts the barn and will go in it to get out of the snow. His first night he didn't and stood out there while all that snow fell on him.

He's incredibly sweet and just what I was looking for. I now need to find him a girlfriend.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 02:15:01 pm »
Awww, he is so cute!  How tall is he?  Can't wait to see pics of little burro's running around!  Do they smell good like horses? Do you have to shoe or trim feet? How are the goats taking to their new friend? They can be surprisingly bossy until the new animal stands up for itself!  Inquiring mind wants to know!

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 06:12:47 pm »
I haven't measured him yet, but he appears to be about 9 hands or so, so pretty small--just what I wanted to get my kids used to being around horse-like animals. I definitely have to trim his hooves but they guy I bought him from did it for me the morning before I picked him up so he's good for several weeks. The goats are doing pretty good. I have the herd queen--an angora doe who has been pretty bossy, but when he walks in she gets out of his way. Good to see her put in her place :)

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 08:31:13 pm »
He is adorable, I love those miniatures. There is one down the street from me, so good natured and sweet he makes my heart melt.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 10:12:16 pm »
Ah Thomas, beauty!!!  That is so cool that you have livestock, as you do, a jack.  That must be an un-castrated male?  Or is he still got stuff intact.  Jody and I are smell-aholics.  I love the scent of things (well, except for male goats, been there, done that, at Brian Bray's, what a stink!!!).  Does a donkey smell like a horse?  I would be curious. I think that horses have the most beautiful scent on earth.  Love it.  Anyways, have fun with that little dude, so nice to hear of these things.  Have beautiful days, with great health, with lots of love.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything