Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: HFCS to 1:1????  (Read 1787 times)

Offline theriverhawk

• House Bee
    • Young Life of Shelby County, AL
HFCS to 1:1????
« on: March 18, 2013, 08:31:35 am »
I have a 55 gallong drum of HFCS available for my use.  Anyone know how much water to put in a gallon jug before adding HFCS to make it 1:1?  I did a search here and couldn't find anything.  In order to avoid spoiling, I would not add the water until actual feeding time. 

Moots

Re: HFCS to 1:1????
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 09:42:10 am »
I have no idea...and I'm sure you are probably aware of these issues, but you may want to check out the links about precautions when using HFCS.

Bee Feeding Link

Offline theriverhawk

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 10:35:35 am »
Perhaps I should have stated that I did want this thread to be an "anti-HFCS".  I'm aware as are many that continue to use it. 

Would appreciate anyone's input regarding the amount of water in a gallon jug in order to turn HFCS into 1:1...that's all.

Moots

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 10:56:44 am »
Perhaps I should have stated that I did want this thread to be an "anti-HFCS".  I'm aware as are many that continue to use it. 

Would appreciate anyone's input regarding the amount of water in a gallon jug in order to turn HFCS into 1:1...that's all.

Yeah! Perhaps you should have.....

Hope you have a GREAT DAY!  :)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 11:29:53 am »
Of course, if you have a refractometer you could measure the current water content, if you don't know it.  You would have to know that to know how much water to add.  I would assume that HFCS would be about 20% or less water in order to keep it from fermenting.  Assuming that (which you may need to measure to be sure of) then it's just a matter of weight or volume.  If you have 4:1 syrup (20% moisture) then you need to add enough water to end up with 1:1.  So if you have a gallon of 4:1 that's 26 ounces of water and 102 ounces of sugar.  You need to end up with 102 ounces of water, so you need to add 76 ounces or so of water to one gallon of syrup to get 1:1.  That's 4 - 3/4 pints of water per gallon of syrup.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline theriverhawk

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 07:45:38 pm »
Unbelievable Michael.  Thanks so much!!

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 09:13:09 pm »
Michael, YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!  X:X X:X X:X X:X X:X :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

As a new bee I am forever grateful for yours and everyone else's help on the site.

Thanks for all y'all do.

Can't say that enough.

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

anything