Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Closing entrance for the day?  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Playapixie

• New Bee
  • Caretaker of the Sweet Jaimies and the Shura Bees!
    • Playapixie
Closing entrance for the day?
« on: May 24, 2015, 02:41:26 am »
A couple times per year we have to have the huge hedges between our yard and the high rise condos next door pruned by professionals who use a chainsaw and ladders. Unfortunately this puts them very near our hives, and debris is almost certain to fall on the hives. Fortunately it is small debris (cut hedge leaves and twigs.)

Is it ok to close the entrance the night prior and keep the bees locked inside for the day until the workers are gone? I think flying bees around these workers is likely to be a dangerous disaster.

Suggestions for making this as easy as possible will be appreciated.  Thanks!
"Let the beauty we love be what we do."  ~Rumi

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Closing entrance for the day?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 04:31:07 am »
I have had the trees over my apiary opened up for sunlight twice now. Usually I have about 12 hives. I never did close them up. One time they dropped a large branch one and they had to take a break while the hive settled down.
If you do close them up, be sure to give them water and make sure they have a large enough area for air. Some times if there is only a small opening they will block it up if they are trying to get out in large numbers.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 08:58:36 am »
Maybe close the front with screen wire. That'll give them some air.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 09:37:52 am »
I would make a moving screen for the hive.  Having the entire top screened will give more ventilation than just the entrance.  It is easy to give the bees water through the top screen, just spray or pour some in over the frame top bars.  Sealing the entrance is best done with a strip of wood that fits snugly, but can be easily removed, or with a wood framed screen similar to a robbing screen.

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 09:44:29 am »
Do the cleanup work around the hives yourself or you could loan the arborist a veil and gloves.

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 01:29:50 am »
Maybe close the front with screen wire. That'll give them some air.

That's what I would do. I often put one on at night so I can move a hive/hives in the morning. I just use regular porch screen. I think its #8. I wouldn't think keeping them closed with a solid block of wood or something that wont allow a breeze would be good. But then again, I'm new at this stuff. 3rd year.  Learning all the time. good Luck. G
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline Playapixie

• New Bee
  • Caretaker of the Sweet Jaimies and the Shura Bees!
    • Playapixie
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 04:53:04 am »
I'll definitely do the clean up but the hedges are several stories tall and will require tall ladders and chain saws; I'll leave that to the pros.

Wire mesh sounds like it should work fine. Thanks For the suggestions. 
"Let the beauty we love be what we do."  ~Rumi

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 04:18:50 pm »
Like Jim and AR says, a big open screen like a moving screen will let them come out of the hive completely without blocking the entrance too much and a screen on top as well will let the heat out and a great idea about spraying water on the screen for them. If you have some #8, you can bend it up and staple it on real quick. If you don't, it would be wise to invest in some.

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 05:44:43 pm »
I would give them an empty box (no comb) between the bottom board and the bottom box (give them a place to clustet) and a full screen on top.  When they need to shed heat, they may need more room than they have.  ...and make sure they have plenty of water.

anything