Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A Starving Bee? (Pictures)  (Read 2619 times)

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
A Starving Bee? (Pictures)
« on: August 08, 2008, 08:25:40 pm »
Earlier today I was buzzed by a bee out in the middle of my yard. It then landed on a Nectarine tree I'd just planted. Normally I wouldn't think anything more about it but this bee caught my eye. It looked like it was starving to death and even had trouble hanging onto the leaf it landed on.

It's behaving like a bee that's about to die and leaving the nest. But normally these bees look like they're in better health than this. They certainly aren't as compacted and tiny.

Anyone know what's going on here?

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: A Starving Bee? (Pictures)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 01:02:58 am »
she has run out of gas so to speak-she has to stop flying and is metabolizing honey from here honey gut into here beegut will take her a few minutes and it will be as if she wakes up -bees normally dont fly further than the distance of honey they cary with them-but if she is on a mission and is foraging she may pass that point and has to pull over and recharge ;) so to speak-RDY-B

Offline Hayesbo

• House Bee
  • My son. Almost 6 and loves helping me w/the bees
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 12:26:44 pm »
She looks young too. her wings are in good shape.

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 02:29:31 am »
could be insecticide just a thought.  seems to be one of the biggest problems now adays as everyone is using them trying to have the best looking yard or protect thier crops.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline deejaycee

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 07:05:40 pm »

They're certainly not tatty, and I'd agree she looks young on that basis, but the top of her thorax looks fairly bald. Then again, she looks pretty hairy otherwise.

But I don't think her wings are in good shape - looking at pic 2 it looks like the second wing is deformed - appears to be dropped down and stunted.  On the far side I can only see one wing.

Offline ula ula

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 08:01:57 pm »
hi every one
                 had a look up on diseases on bees in the beekeeping in Victoria, department of agriculture. septicemia disease.symptoms infected bees show a progressive slowing of activity general weakening.they soon lose ability to fly. the appearance of bees becomes very similar to that of a chilled bee as the weakening procresses. their movement becomes slow uncertain and they often fall over seem ad normal and exaggerated at times and lead to loss of balance. don't no if you have this disease over there

Offline Hayesbo

• House Bee
  • My son. Almost 6 and loves helping me w/the bees
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 06:08:49 am »

They're certainly not tatty, and I'd agree she looks young on that basis, but the top of her thorax looks fairly bald. Then again, she looks pretty hairy otherwise.

But I don't think her wings are in good shape - looking at pic 2 it looks like the second wing is deformed - appears to be dropped down and stunted.  On the far side I can only see one wing.
good eyes. you are right